The Conversation Indonesia is a not-for-profit, independent source of information, analysis and commentary written by experts from the university and research sector.
It strives for “academic rigour and journalistic flair”. The web platform enables collaboration between experts and editors, producing free, accessible and usable content on matters of public interest in Indonesian language and English.
The Conversation Indonesia is part of a global network with teams and sites in Australia, United Kingdom, United States, Africa, France, Canada, Spain. The Conversation Indonesia is the first edition in Asia. Our team is passionate and focused on making The Conversation Indonesia a go-to source for expert knowledge on Indonesian and regional issues and making The Conversation network a leading global media site.
We’re looking for a talented bilingual multimedia producer (English and Indonesian) with a keen interest in science communication and a love for visuals (video, graphic, gifs). S/he will lead The Conversation Indonesia’s multimedia content production and support The Conversation Indonesia’s community engagement.
The role requires an outgoing personality who is comfortable working in mobile-first, platform-specific storytelling.
We are looking for a clever and creative self-starter who has a flair for multimedia production, script-writing and copy-editing in Indonesian language and English. S/he should also have a deep understanding of Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube and mobile news products and how conversations are crafted in these spaces.
This role is based in Jakarta. An appropriate salary will be negotiated.
Job Opening: Social Media Producer
Responsible To: The Conversation Indonesia Executive Editor and The Conversation Indonesia Audience Development Manager
Other Key Relationships: The Conversation Indonesia’s staff; the Indonesian higher education and research sector, The Conversation Indonesia's audience
Purpose: Develop social media plan, produce social media content, build and nurture community relations
1. Social Media Strategic Planning
Support the Audience Development Manager and Executive Editor to develop and implement a social media plan to grow our audience, increase reach, and build deeper relationships to more effectively engage The Conversation Indonesia’s audience.
In conjunction with the Audience Development Manager, experiment with content production and use data to research and build a body of knowledge about The Conversation Indonesia’s audience and social media strategies that are effective in building deep relationships and engagement with our audience.
2. Social Media Content
- Drive the implementation of social media strategies, of which the activities will include:
- Pitching, researching, writing, and producing video stories
- Crafting stories specific to audiences on Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook
- Collaborate with the editorial team, as needed, in social media content production
3. Community Relations
In conjunction with the Audience Development Manager, engage with our audience via social media to spur conversations surrounding issues covered by our editorial team.
In conjunction with the Audience Development Manager, advise and support editors, as needed, in their engagement with their niche audiences.
Support the Audience Development Manager in organising offline events to build The Conversation Indonesia’s brand and deepen our relationship with our community.
- Excellent writing and research skills
- Experience producing and editing videos and/or creating motion graphics
- Ability to host on-camera and produce off-camera
- Use data and performance metrics to enhance content creation
- Strong interest in presenting sophisticated ideas to curious readers who are not experts in the field
- Eager to experiment with new technologies, formats, and platforms to stay ahead of digital storytelling curve
- Able to work under pressure as well as meet tight project deadlines and audience goals
- An understanding of, and commitment to, The Conversation’s aim of contributing to the quality of public debate