- Melbourne CBD Location
- $85, 462 - $114, 672 p.a. +17% Super
- Fixed Term, 2-year Contract
About the role and college/portfolio
The School of Science is one of RMIT's top-performing research schools, we deliver research that addresses the 'real life questions' essential to Australia's innovation agenda. Our high-quality teaching programs encourage students to pursue careers in a range of industries including biotechnology, health, materials technology, food, geospatial and surveying, environmental science, banking and commerce, as well as computing and IT roles and research and development across a wide range of areas. The Research Assistant will undertake research activities in line with the Research Project "Mesoscale continuum simulations for low frequency, long wavelength viscoelastic properties". This project is the RMIT contribution to the collaborative project "Development of an ICME Paradigm for Advanced Acoustic Materials", funded by the Defence Science and Technology Group of the Department of Defence, under the Next Generation Technologies Fund scheme. It is expected that the Research Assistant/Fellow will work with a growing degree of autonomy as skills and experience develop.
- Relevant PhD in Physics, Chemistry or a relevant field of Engineering.
- High level of knowledge in statistical and thermal physics with a background in the theory of mechanical and thermal properties of materials.
- Experience in computational modelling of phase transitions and microstructure development
- Ability to work both autonomously and in a team environment, including the demonstrated ability to effectively work with colleagues, project team leaders, and industry partners.
RMIT is a multi-sector university of technology, design and enterprise with more than 91,000 students and 11,000 staff globally. RMIT offers postgraduate, undergraduate, vocational education and online programs to provide students with a variety of work-relevant pathways. Our purpose is to offer life-changing experiences for our students and to help shape the world with research, innovation, teaching and industry engagement. With strong industry connections forged over 130 years, collaboration with industry remains integral to RMIT's leadership in education, applied and innovative research, and to the development of highly skilled, globally-focused graduates.
What unites us is our purpose and our values; they are at the heart of who we are, what we stand for, how we make decisions and connect with each other. Our people make everything at the University possible. We encourage new approaches to work and learning, stimulating change to drive positive impact. RMIT exists to create transformative experiences for our students, getting them ready for life and work. You will be a part of a productive and collaborative team, who values working relationships and outcomes through open and inclusive planning, continuous information sharing and transparent work practices. When you join our team, you'll be able to access a range of benefits. From travel to fitness, there's something for everyone.
Bring your whole self to work
We are better for our diversity. When we listen to those who are different to us, or challenge us, we grow stronger together. When we feel like we belong, we can achieve so much more. We respect each other, embrace our differences and build a sense of belonging in our team and beyond. Were proud to share with you some of our wins:
- RMIT University is an Athena SWAN member and the College of Science, Engineering and Health is central to driving improvements in gender equality, diversity and inclusion, particularly in the Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Medicine (STEMM) disciplines.
- RMIT was placed 10th in the 2019 Randstad Employer Brand Research Awards, up five spots from 2018.
- We were named as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality by the Workplace Gender Equality Agency in 2019.
- We achieved Gold Employer status for LGBTIQ inclusion in the Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI) in 2018 and now in 2019.
- We were recognised as a top five employer in 2018 for workplace accessibility with the Australian Network on Disability.
- Exceeding our targets in our Reconciliation Action Plan for Bundyi Girri - an important step in our reconciliation journey.
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter outlining your interest in this role. Candidates are requested to separately address the key selection criteria outlined in the position description which can be found by clicking HERE.
Applications close on December 5th, 2019.
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.