Salary: Level D: $151,868 - $167,312 p.a or Level E: $195,618 p.a., plus 17% superannuation
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world, at number 1 in Australia and number 32 in the world (THE Rankings 2017-2018). We are globally engaged, comprehensive, research-intensive and committed to responding to the major challenges of our time.
The Melbourne School of Engineering (MSE) Working at MSE is exciting and fast paced. We are working hard to transform engineering and IT research and teaching, guided by MSE 2025, our ten-year strategic plan. With an expected investment of $1 billion in people and infrastructure, we are creating the entrepreneurial leaders and technology of the future.
MSE is committed to delivering a future-focused, expansive curriculum and learning environment. To this end we are backing this vision by establishing this new and innovative Teaching and Learning Lab.
The MSE Teaching and Learning Lab (TLL)
Students and employers increasingly expect and demand more from an education. Modes of teaching and learning, such as project-based curricula and blended online environments, are becoming basic requirements. In addition, vocational outcomes are a significant driver for course selection as students expect to immediately enter employment.
The TLL is the cornerstone of the School's ambitions to become a leader in engineering education and the hub of Indo-Pacific activity for educational excellence.
Aligned to our MSE2025 strategy, our priority is to build a transformative student experience through interactive learning approaches and enriched engagement opportunities with industry.
We are searching for a passionate forward-thinking educator ideally from engineering; computer science or related discipline, who can also demonstrate a body of work in education research, and /or a practical track-record of improving learning outcomes through teaching innovation.
The Director of this newly established Lab will lead the MSE's efforts to implement leading-practice pedagogy, bring to bear the use of digital technologies in our teaching and build better learning experiences for our students.
You will have a powerful role in catalysing change across our School and embracing the unique opportunities of our new campuses at Melbourne Connect and Fishermans Bend.
You will work alongside other senior academic leaders in the School who are leading efforts to improve our student's sense of belonging, strengthen our position as Australia's most diverse school of engineering and meet the wider life-long learning aspirations of our alumni and industry partners.
MSE is on the precipice of an ambitious new chapter in its history, placing students at the centre of what we do. Come and join the School for your chance to lead this change.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate:
- PhD in Engineering, IT or related field.
- Track record of research publications in an engineering or IT discipline and/or in education.
- Ability to effectively lead and develop a team with diverse and complex areas of responsibility.
- Excellence in teaching in the higher education environment.
- Ability to work reciprocally with academic staff in crafting and implementing curriculum reform for subjects and programs.
- Ability to introduce teaching innovations, including the integration of new technologies, to improve student learning outcomes.
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues to deliver strategic and operational teaching and learning objectives.
- An excellent understanding of effective evaluation methodologies.
In the initial Application you will be asked to attach the following documents to this application:
- Your curriculum vitae (including your publications listing)
- Cover Letter addressing the reason why you find this role appealing.
For shortlisted candidates we will ask you to complete a short video interview (max 15 mins) addressing
- Personal statement outlining your current / proposed research project and how it would complement the goals of this new TLL.
- Personal Statement on your teaching philosophy and education vision statement
Advertising and applications close 6 Feb 2020
Shortlisting late Feb 2020
First round Interviews Early March 2020
Final Interviews Late March 2020
Target Start Date 1 July 2020
What we offer you
We offer flexibility, whatever that may mean for you as well as extensive opportunities for personal and professional development and we'll support you in doing what you love!
We seek to increase the diversity of our workforce and the representation of all members of our community that have been traditionally under-represented.
For international candidates, relocation support will also be offered.
If you're curious, motivated and ready to undertake a challenging and rewarding role we're ready to meet you.
How to Apply
Apply online by completing the application form and uploading your cover letter and CV.
Please note - that although we are leaving this role open over the Christmas New Year break, we will be reviewing applications prior to the closing date and may close this role prior.
While we review your application, get to know us by visiting http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/about/join-mse/why-join-mse