- Melbourne CBD Location
- Continuing Position, Academic Level B/C, 1.0 FTE
- $96, 564 - $118, 291 PA + 17 % Super
About the role and college/portfolio
The School of Engineering comprises a diverse range of disciplines: Aerospace Engineering & Aviation; Chemical & Environmental Engineering; Civil & Infrastructure Engineering; Electrical & Biomedical Engineering; Electronic & Telecommunication Engineering; Manufacturing, Materials & Mechatronic Engineering; Mechanical & Automotive Engineering. As a top 100 university in the world for engineering (2015 QS Rankings by Faculty; Engineering and Technology), RMIT Engineering provides students with work-relevant education programs, access to excellent research facilities and opportunities to engage in creative real-world project work through robust relations with local and international industry leaders. RMIT Engineerings education is based on innovation and creativity. As the Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Networks Engineering, you will be expected to make a significant contribution to the teaching and research efforts of the School, in the discipline of Electronic and Telecommunications Engineering. You will be expected to undertake high quality research in the designated fields preferably in collaboration with industry, including supervision of project students and HDR students.
- Possess a proven track record of academic (teaching and research) and/or professional achievements in Network Engineering with proven knowledge in Layer2 (access layer), Layer3 (network layer) and Layer4 (transport layer) of the communication protocol stack. Preferably emphasizing in a combination of the following areas of teaching, research and professional experience;
- The modern Internet (TCP/IP)
- Gateway, routing and access protocols
- Software Defined Networks, network slicing and network management
- Network security
- Modern network traffic engineering, modelling and analysis
- Wireless, mobile, satellite, IoT and ad-hoc networks
Laboratory based experimentation and configuration of networks and devices
Previous experience in supervising PhD research students towards successful completion, and past work history in teaching at a higher education level resulting in high student satisfaction scores.
- Ability to develop and maintain close engagement with industry and professional bodies, locally and internationally, to inform teaching and research, and obtain required support from external stakeholders.
- Enthusiastic to provide leadership in the development of interdisciplinary activities in Teaching & Learning and research across the School and contribute to developing and managing School programs including on-shore and off-shore in the relevant field.
- PhD in the related (Network Engineering) field.
RMIT is a multi-sector university of technology, design and enterprise with more than 91,000 students and 11,000 staff globally. RMIT offers postgraduate, undergraduate, vocational education and online programs to provide students with a variety of work-relevant pathways. Our purpose is to offer life-changing experiences for our students and to help shape the world with research, innovation, teaching and industry engagement. With strong industry connections forged over 130 years, collaboration with industry remains integral to RMITs leadership in education, applied and innovative research, and to the development of highly skilled, globally-focused graduates.
Our people make everything at the University possible. We encourage new approaches to work and learning, stimulating change to drive positive impact. RMIT exists to create transformative experiences for our students, getting them ready for life and work. You will be a part of a productive and collaborative team, who values working relationships and outcomes through open and inclusive planning, continuous information sharing and transparent work practices. When you join our team, you'll be able to access a range of benefits. From travel to fitness, there's something for everyone.
Bring your whole self to work
We are better for our diversity. When we listen to those who are different to us, or challenge us, we grow stronger together. When we feel like we belong, we can achieve so much more. We respect each other, embrace our differences and build a sense of belonging in our team and beyond. Were proud to share with you some of our wins:
- RMIT University is an Athena SWAN member with Bronze Award accreditation and the College of Science, Engineering and Health is central to driving improvements in gender equality, diversity and inclusion, particularly in the Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Medicine (STEMM) disciplines.
- We were named as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality by the Workplace Gender Equality Agency in 2019.
- We achieved Gold Employer status for LGBTIQ inclusion in the Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI) in 2018 and now in 2019.
- We were recognised as a top five employer in 2018 for workplace accessibility with the Australian Network on Disability.
- The launch of our second Reconciliation Plan, Dhumbah Goorowa- a "commitment to share" - an important step in our reconciliation journey.
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter outlining your interest in this role. Candidates are requested to separately address the key selection criteria outlined in the position description. To Apply
Applications close 27 November 2019.
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.