- Fulltime, fixed term 2 years
- Located at Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus
- Level A $68,914 - $92,644 + 17% super
A²I² (Applied Artificial Intelligence Institute) transforms industries and improves communities by exploring new frontiers in AI and implementing safe, effective AI. We pioneer methods and approaches for AI and Machine Learning problems with high potential impact. Our interests cover Machine Learning, Reinforcement Learning, Deep Learning, Optimisation and Software Engineering.
You will join Applied Artificial Intelligence Institute (A2I2 ) at its Waurn Ponds location (formerly PRaDA) as a Research Engineer and will contribute towards research activities in the areas of machine learning and thus expand the research output of the A2I2 Institute. You will be instrumental in handling a large scale of data both in research and implementation levels.
Your key responsibilities will include but not limited to:
- initiating and conducting research under limited supervision either as a member of a team, or independently, to achieve the objectives of the relevant project or research agenda as specified by the Director.
- effectively produce data, maintain data protocols and enter data into the Deakin Research Online (DRO) database. Conduct preliminary data cleaning, screening and analysis
- constructively contributing to a vibrant research team including participating with colleagues in developing and maintaining links and partnerships with industry and the wider community
- promoting the activities of the University, particularly those relating to research and research training, within academic and professional communities locally and in Australia
- being involved in professional activities, including (subject to availability of funds) attendance at conferences and seminars in their field of expertise
- undertaking experimental design and operation of advanced laboratory and technical equipment or conduct advanced research procedures
- managing experimental data and extraction of relevant information for reporting and publication and jointly integrating and testing data models, evaluating and refining
- undertaking some administrative functions primarily connected with the area of research
- provide software design and programming support to research projects
- join fundamental research projects that have built momentum and are looking to scale and enhance work
- collaborate with other researchers to implement and evaluate algorithms
- design of ML experiments and scientific evaluation of results
- develop software system and application prototypes of the proposed solutions
- create interactive user interfaces to help researchers visualise and understand AI
- generate creative solutions (patents) and publish research results in top venues (papers)
To be successful, you'll have
- research experience which has resulted in reports, or professional or technical contributions, which give evidence to research ability
- ability to perform comprehensive literature reviews and provide critical feedback on state-of-the-art solutions
- good theoretical understanding of core machine learning concepts and techniques including data normalization, linear and logistic regression, principle component analysis, decision trees, SVMs and deep neural networks
- demonstrated skills in the coordination of data collection, data entry and analysis
- extensive programming skills including good knowledge of Python and C++
- demonstrated ability to work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team
- demonstrated organisational skills including the demonstrated ability to maintain a high standard of laboratory and data record-keeping and a demonstrated ability to meet competing deadlines
- good interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact well with researchers/technical staff and external parties and excellent oral, written communication and presentation skills
- significant years of programming experience in Python, Java, C/C++ or similar languages
- experience on deep learning applications including working knowledge of TensorFlow or PyTorch
- experience with numerical methods and data visualisation
- demonstrated skills in working with large scale software systems and data, in particular, work surrounding pattern discovery and classification
- proven track record of research publications
For a copy of the position description, please see below:
Applications for this position close on November 28th 2019.
Are You Ready?
Deakin is one of the new breeds of global universities - agile, dynamic and innovative. We are committed to making a genuine difference in people's lives through excellence in education and research. As a Victorian university with a global impact, join us and let's see what we can achieve together.
Our people are important to us, and we understand the significance of providing them with a dynamic and diverse working environment, with opportunities to grow and develop their careers.
At Deakin, we offer a variety of benefits, including a flexible and sustainable working environment, lifestyle benefits and various discounts with our third-party suppliers.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.
We understand that our academic workforce is increasingly diverse, and we recognise academic careers may be placed on hold throughout many life circumstances. Achievement relative to opportunity places more emphasis on the quality, as opposed to the number of research outputs. In your application, we strongly encourage you to comment on your achievements relative to opportunity.