Appointment will be based on qualification and experience, either as Level B $102,967 - $122,268 p.a or Level C $126,128 - $145,431 pa, plus superannuation.
About University of Melbourne
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world. We are globally engaged, comprehensive, research-intensive and committed to responding to the major challenges of our time.
About Melbourne School of Engineering (MSE)
Working at MSE is exciting and fast moving. We are working hard to transform engineering and IT research and teaching, guided by MSE 2025, our ten-year strategic plan. With an expected investment of $1 billion in people and infrastructure, we are creating the entrepreneurial leaders and technology of the future.
About the School of Electrical, Mechanical and Infrastructure Engineering (EMI)
We encompass the Electrical, Mechanical and Infrastructure Engineering Departments, recognising that engineered systems of present & future significance increasingly have connections to all three.
We are the oldest engineering school in Australia - initially founded in 1861 - and have evolved into a vibrant community of internationally recognised researchers focused on addressing major challenges of today and into the future.
The Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering has four research groups in:
- Power and Energy Systems
- Control and Signal Processing
- Communications and Networks
- Electronic and Photonic Systems
In line our strategic plan (MSE2025), we are placing an increasing focus upon graduate teaching and its research program and aim to be one of the great Schools of Engineering in the world.
Additionally, the development of a secondary campus at Fishermans Bend will remove many of the traditional constraints on the delivery of our educational programs.
With this in mind the Department wishes to initially appoint two Teaching Fellows/ Senior Teaching Fellows to pioneer the development of project-based subjects and courses within the electrical and electronic engineering discipline and to introduce leading-edge educational pedagogies to best prepare engineering students for the workforce in the coming decades
You will be passionate about engineering education and enjoy teaching and recognise the unique opportunity to create and deliver a new program from the ground up, as well as appreciating the challenges to be negotiated in establishing the program.
This exciting career opportunity will support you in independently and as a member of the team to:
- seek and develop an international profile in engineering education
- deliver teaching and teaching innovation
- engage with industry and other partner institutions
- take on leadership roles within the University
We will also offer a generous start-up package to support your chosen research project(s), as well as the usual academic development support for sabbaticals and/or international visits.
You will be capable of demonstrating the following:
- PhD in Electrical and Electronic Engineering or related discipline
- high-level ability to teach effectively across a broad range of subjects in the general area of electrical and electronic engineering
- experience in course and/or curriculum design involving non-traditional modes of delivery, innovation in teaching practice and providing a flexible learning environment
- strong interpersonal and communication skills, with an ability to build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders (internal and external) and work collaboratively
- evidence of industry engagement in teaching activities and academic outcomes
- ability to form strong relationships within and between academia and industry
- potential to achieve the highest levels of scholarship in engineering education research
Additionally, it is highly desirable (but not mandatory) that you also bring:
- Experience in the supervision or co-supervision and mentoring of postgraduate students and other staff where appropriate
- A research track record in a discipline of electrical and electronic engineering?
- Familiarity and established relationships with academic, industry and government entities within the discipline.
What we offer you
We offer flexibility, whatever that may mean for you. Many of our benefit programs and onsite amenities are aimed at supporting you - including generous leave, child care subsidies, discounted parking, medical and health care. We offer extensive opportunities for personal and professional development and we'll support you in doing what you love.
We seek to increase the diversity of our workforce and the representation of all members of our community that have been traditionally under-represented.
If you're curious, motivated and ready to undertake a challenging and rewarding role we're ready to meet you.
How to Apply
Apply online, complete the application and upload your CV and a cover letter including your response to the following selection criteria:
- Experience in course and/or curriculum design involving non-traditional modes of delivery, innovation in teaching practice and providing a flexible learning environment;
- Evidence of industry engagement in teaching activities and academic outcomes
- A half page overview of your teaching philosophy and vision.
While we review your application, get to know us by visiting http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/about/join-mse/why-join-mse