About University of Melbourne
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world, we are globally engaged; comprehensive; research-intensive; and committed to responding to the major challenges of our time.
About Melbourne School of Engineering (MSE)
Working at MSE is exciting and fast moving. We are working hard to transform engineering and IT research and teaching, guided by MSE 2025, our ten-year strategic plan. With planned investment of $1 billion in people and infrastructure, we are creating the entrepreneurial leaders and technology of the future.
About the School of Computing and Information Systems (CIS)
We are international research leaders with a focus on delivering impact and making a real difference in three key areas: data and knowledge, platforms and systems, and people and organisations. In this discipline, the School was ranked number 1 in Australia and 14th in the world in the 2018 QS World University Ranking exercise. At the School of Computing and Information Systems, you'll find smart people, big problems, and plenty of opportunities to make a real difference in the world.
You will work on the development of an innovative virtual telepresence system for real-time collaboration and communication. The research aims to explore the volumetric capture of people and environments using an array of depth sensors and motion capture cameras, and the rendering of the resulting holograms with mixed reality headsets and projection mapping.
The Research Fellow will join a dynamic team of Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) researchers in the School of Computing and Information Systems (CIS). The newly renovated HCI Lab located in CIS provides state-of-the-art facilities for exploring motion capture and mixed reality applications. This position provides an opportunity for an emerging researcher to build their research career in this rapidly evolving field
This exciting career opportunity will support you independently and as a member of the team, to work across all four pillars of an academic career and you will have opportunity to:
- pursue internationally leading research
- deliver teaching and teaching innovation
- engage with industry and other partner institutions
- take on leadership roles within the University
To be successful in this role you will be able to demonstrate your:
- PhD in Human-Computer Interaction, Mixed Reality, Computer Vision, or related discipline
- emerging research track record, as evidenced by publications in leading journals and conferences, particularly in the area of Mixed Reality Applications
- experience in conducting experiments and user studies with human participants and applying for ethics clearance
- experience in developing virtual and/or augmented reality applications
- ability to lead and manage research projects with minimal supervision, including high level organisational and time management skills, ability to manage competing priorities and excellent record keeping skills
- capacity to communicate research concepts to technical and non-technical audiences
- excellent written and verbal communication skills, demonstrated by presentation of research results at conferences, internal forums and through manuscript submissions
- excellent interpersonal skills, including an ability to interact with internal and external stakeholders (academic, administrative and support staff) in a courteous and effective manner
Additionally, your application will be highly regarded if you can also demonstrate experience with one or more of the following:
- grant application writing.
- developing human-centered technology prototypes.
- developing applications for Mixed Reality headsets, such as Hololens and Magic Leap.
- working with Microsoft Kinect and/or other depth sensing technologies.
- working with C# programming language and Unity 3D game engine.
What we offer you
We offer flexibility, whatever that may mean for you. Many of our benefit programs and onsite amenities are aimed at supporting you - including generous leave, child care subsidies, discounted parking, medical and health care. We offer extensive opportunities for personal and professional development and we'll support you in doing what you love.
We seek to increase the diversity of our workforce and the representation of all members of our community that have been traditionally under-represented.
If you're curious, motivated and ready to undertake a challenging and rewarding role we're ready to meet you.
How to Apply
Apply online, complete the application and upload your Cover Letter - addressing the first four essential selection criteria listed in the attached PD; and your Resume.
While we review your application, get to know us by visiting http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/about/join-mse/why-join-mse