This is an exceptional opportunity to develop, maintain and manage a high quality of business and operational services within the Melbourne Medical School (MMS).
Reporting to the Head of School, with professional responsibility to the Faculty's Chief Operating Officer, the School Manager is the most senior member of professional staff within MMS. The incumbent will be responsible for a scope of work that includes the planning, management and delivery of the research, teaching and learning, engagement, commercialisation and administrative services within MMS and its constituent Departments and Centres. The School Manager will work with the Faculty Directorate to drive effective financial management and budgeting, operational efficiency, service quality and strategic outcomes.
Additionally, you will be developing, leading and managing a team of professional staff to deliver a range of services that support and guide academic staff is a key function of the role.
You will possess;
- A relevant postgraduate qualification and proven management expertise, or an equivalent combination of extensive relevant experience and/or training in a research organisation.
- A strong track record of outstanding management and leadership skills, with demonstrated ability to foster a collaborative and cooperative work environment. Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate staff in a complex environment including experience in customer orientation, staff performance management and conflict resolution
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategic and operational plans, and to establish and implement procedures and initiatives to enable successful execution of plans. Proven ability to initiate, socialise and manage change processes successfully
- Experience managing a budget
- The ability to present information clearly in person and in writing, to influence and negotiate, and to interact both discretely and effectively with staff at all levels.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including a high level of emotional intelligence, equanimity and sense of humour.
- Demonstrated executive and decision-making capacity
- Ability to drive outcomes and project execution
- Strong capability as an ethical leader who values diversity and works effectively with individual differences
Established in 1862, Melbourne Medical School (MMS) in the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences at the University of Melbourne is the oldest medical school in Australia.
MMS is committed to working with the communities we serve to improve health and advance health care. We will do this through our teaching, learning, research, clinical care and advocacy. The Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences (MDHS) is Australia's pre-eminent medical, health sciences and biomedical faculty and is recognised for its research, teaching and training and policy leadership across all these fields.
The Faculty employs more than 1,900 members of staff, attracts more than 8,000 students each year and comprises six schools; 33 departments, centers and institutes; and 128 courses. It contributes almost 50 per cent of all research conducted across the University
We offer a number of employee benefits to maximise your work life at University of Melbourne (UOM). Some of the benefits on offer are; a salary packaging scheme, flexible family friendly policies - providing generous leave and working conditions. An opportunity to work in a culturally rich environment with substantial discount to eligible staff and their immediate families in undertaking further studies at UOM
To find out more, go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/working/benefits
How to apply
We are in a time of expansion and growth, for more information, position description plus other opportunities please click medicine.unimelb.edu.au/about/join-the-melbourne-medical-school
Your application submitted should include a CV along with your responses against the selection criteria found in the Position Description for the role.
For information to assist you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria, please go to: https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria