About University of Melbourne The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world, at number 1 in Australia and number 32 in the world (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2017-2018). We are globally engaged, comprehensive, research-intensive and committed to responding to the major challenges of our time.
About Melbourne School of Engineering (MSE)
Working at MSE is exciting and fast moving. We are working hard to transform engineering and IT research and teaching, guided by MSE 2025, our ten-year strategic plan. With an expected investment of $1 billion in people and infrastructure, we are creating the entrepreneurial leaders and technology of the future.
In this Laboratory Technical Officer (LTO) position, you will play an integral role supporting the School of Engineering's (MSE) growth strategy. You will directly impact our quality of teaching and practical learning through the provision of technical support in the Schools coursework dry laboratories and through the preparation of practical classes for a range of our engineering disciples; Electrical & Electronic, Mechanical, Biomedical, Infrastructure, Environmental and Computing & Information Systems.
With a customer service mindset, you will support a range of stakeholders including teaching staff, students and research groups facilitating their work requirements. You will show initiative and creativity providing solutions to these clients on technical challenges that they face. In this position, you will also have the opportunity to use your knowledge of work policies and processes and operations to devise new and better ways of working.
Practically, you will work across multiple teaching spaces including the Engineering Design studios, Engineering Workshop, Design and Build Lab, Mechatronics Project Lab, Creator Space, Engineering Wet Laboratory and research facilities.
- During the teaching semesters, there will be a need to vary the hours of work, to either 8:00am - 4:15pm or 10:00am - 6:15pm, to provide coverage of lab classes
- Travel to non-Parkville campuses, off campus and other areas may be required
- Requirement to work with and handle chemicals where necessary
To successfully secure this role you will be able to demonstrate:
- A degree in Electrical, Electronic or Mechatronic Engineering
- Extensive work experience in an industrial engineering or scientific laboratory, in related areas such as controllers, analogue to digital data acquisition, electronics/electrical/mechatronics circuits prototyping work, including experience in printed circuit board (PCB) fabrication, testing and diagnostic processes
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in the use of a wide range of control, electronics, mechatronics, mechanical equipment, laboratory and scientific test & measurement instrumentation, including modular equipment designed for education especially in the area of Electrical, electronic and mechatronic engineering
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills with the ability to work as part of a team, or independently
- Ability to prioritise; meet deadlines; and work efficiently in a busy environment with large volumes of activity
- A customer service mindset with experience maintaining high quality service to a range of customers
- Process improvement mindset, where you question the status quo and offer new and innovative ideas
- Initiative and motivation, with a capacity to contribute to short and long-term planning
What we offer you
We offer flexibility, whatever that may mean for you. Many of our benefit programs and onsite amenities are aimed at supporting you - including generous leave, child care subsidies, discounted parking, medical and health care. We offer extensive opportunities for personal and professional development and we'll support you in doing what you love.
If you're curious, motivated and ready to undertake a challenging and rewarding role we're ready to meet you.
How to Apply
Apply online, complete the application and upload your Resume and cover letter explaining your specific interest in this role.
Please note - we may commence the interview process prior to the closing date - please do not delay submitting your application if you have a strong interest in this role.
While we review your application, get to know us by visiting http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/about/join-mse/why-join-mse