About University of Melbourne The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world, at number 1 in Australia and number 32 in the world (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2017-2018). We are globally engaged, comprehensive, research-intensive and committed to responding to the major challenges of our time.
About Melbourne School of Engineering (MSE)
Working at MSE is exciting and fast moving. We are working hard to transform engineering and IT research and teaching, guided by MSE 2025, our ten-year strategic plan. With an expected investment of $1 billion in people and infrastructure, we are creating the entrepreneurial leaders and technology of the future.
About the Department of Chemical Engineering
We are a large Department with approximately 25 teaching and research staff, 30 full time research staff and around 90 PhD students.
Academic staff have been elected as Fellows of the Royal Society, the world's oldest scientific society, the Australian Academy of Science, and the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering.
Industry Engagement is a key focus, and we carry out research projects based on deep collaborations with government and business and work with organisations that provide internship opportunities for our students.
You'll find smart people, big problems, and plenty of opportunities to make a real difference in the world!
About the Role
You will play a key role in research projects in the field of colloidal ceramic powder processing. Our research aims to develop improved understanding of processing-structure-property relationships in ceramics produced by wet processing methods.
Your research will investigate the microstructure of ceramics and develop sintering conditions for densification of ceramics. You will develop formulations for producing paste inks and determine printing parameters for 3D printed non-oxide ceramics via direct ink writing.
You will publish your outcomes in peer reviewed journals and produce quarterly progress reports. You will lead the day-to-day operation of a small research lab, including maintaining stocks of routine supplies, chemical safety documentation and inductions and co-supervising undergraduate and PhD research students. When required you may also undertake teaching and research supervision directly related to your area of research.
You will also be an active member of CBE collaborating with other researchers. Your strong interpersonal skills will be imperative in assisting you to form productive working relationships with key stakeholders internally and with our Industry partners.
All candidates will be able to demonstrate the following:
- PhD in Materials, Chemistry, Physics or Engineering; with a track record in research, and sound publication record
- Extensive experience in ceramic powder processing, and experience in microstructural characterisation and ceramic 3D printing
- Excellent problem-solving skills with experience in combining information from many different analytical tools in pursuit of the solution to important problems in materials engineering
- Experience in working with minimal supervision, and ability to prioritise tasks to achieve project objectives within timelines.
- Outstanding communication skills both oral and written;
- Highly developed interpersonal skills including demonstrated ability to work co-operatively in a multi-disciplinary team environment and liaise with associates from diverse backgrounds.
- Desire to work on defence related research.
Please refer to the attached Position Description for further selection criteria.
Finally, this exciting career opportunity will support you independently and as a member of the team to work across all four pillars of an academic career and you will have responsibility to:
- pursue internationally leading research
- deliver teaching and teaching innovation
- engage with industry and other partner institutions
- take on service or leadership roles within the University
What we offer you
Apart from competitive salaries, our benefits are aimed at recognising and rewarding the contributions you make. We offer complete flexibility, whatever that may mean for you. Many of our benefit programs and onsite amenities are aimed at supporting you - including generous leave, child care subsidies, discounted parking, medical and health care. We offer extensive opportunities for personal and professional development and we'll support you in doing what you love.
How to Apply
- Apply online with a cover letter outlining your motivation and reasons for applying with your resume.
- We ask that you please address the essential selection criteria outlined in the attached Position Description on a separate document keeping your responses short and succinct.
While we take a look at your application, get to know us more and find out what it's like working at MSE by visiting http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/about/join-mse/why-join-mse
The University of Melbourne and MSE are strongly committed to supporting diversity and flexibility in the workplace. Applications for part-time or other flexible working arrangements will be welcomed and will be fully considered subject to meeting the inherent requirements of the position.