About University of Melbourne The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world, at number 1 in Australia and number 32 in the world (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2017-2018). We are globally engaged, comprehensive, research-intensive and committed to responding to the major challenges of our time.
About Melbourne School of Engineering (MSE)
Working at MSE is exciting and fast moving. We are working hard to transform engineering and IT research and teaching, guided by MSE 2025, our ten-year strategic plan. With an expected investment of $1 billion in people and infrastructure, we are creating the entrepreneurial leaders and technology of the future.
About the Department of Biomedical Engineering (BME)
The Department of Biomedical Engineering is a vibrant and rapidly growing department within MSE.
We are working on some of the most challenging problems at the interface of engineering with life and medical sciences. The crux of this work being the application of interdisciplinary expertise and thought in order to make new discoveries and innovative solutions towards improved healthcare and social wellbeing
The Department holds one of the four nodes that make up the ARC Training Centre for Medical Implants Technologies (ARC CMIT). The ARC CMIT works to build knowledge and develop technology for personalised medical implants and decision support tools. They aim to train the new generation of engineers and facilitate industry-university-hospital collaborations for clearer pathways to commercialisation.
About this Opportunity:
We have two unique roles that will see you contributing to the exciting work of the ARC CMIT. In this role you will play a key role in our Research team focused upon biomechanics research.
Recent advances in computer aided engineering and additive manufacturing are transforming the treatment of bone and joint diseases through the development of personalised implants and surgeries.
You will help to develop knowledge and technology required for rigorous development and evaluation of pre-clinical test methods, personalised devices for the orthopaedic and maxillofacial industry and decision support tools.
You will carry out biomechanics research with an emphasis on developing novel experiments and computational finite element models; perform complex computational stress analysis and carry out relevant biomechanical experiments using cadaveric specimens.
You will conduct independent research, leading to the preparation and publication of research outcomes in conferences and journals. You will also liaise with collaborating partners and be involved in supervision of PhD students working on related projects.
In these positions you will be an active member of CBE collaborating with other researchers and key partners critical for the success of this project. You may also undertake teaching and research supervision directly related to your area of research, when it is required.
To successfully secure this role you will be able to demonstrate:
- PhD or equivalent in mechanical or biomedical engineering; or related discipline
- record of innovative high-quality research in human modelling and experimentation working with human subjects; evidenced by research publications in leading conferences and journals
- demonstrated capacity to communicate research concepts to technical and non-technical audiences
- capacity to undertake computational modelling with demonstrated experience in finite element analysis
- excellent ability to analyse data; problem solve; and maintain accurate research records
- demonstrated project management experience including high level organisational and time management skills
- excellent ability to work co-operatively in a multi-disciplinary team environment; liaising with associates from both industry and academia
- demonstrated experience in using initiative; working with minimal supervision
- excellent written and verbal communication skills, demonstrated by presentation of research results at conferences, internal forums and through manuscript submissions
Please refer to the attached Position Description for a more detailed outline of this position.
What we offer you
We offer flexibility, whatever that may mean for you. Many of our benefit programs and onsite amenities are aimed at supporting you - including generous leave, child care subsidies, discounted parking, medical and health care. We offer extensive opportunities for personal and professional development and we'll support you in doing what you love.
The University is committed to and seeks to increase the diversity of the workforce and the representation of women in areas where they have been traditionally under-represented.
If you're curious, motivated and ready to undertake a challenging and rewarding role we're ready to meet you.
How to Apply
Apply online, complete the application and upload your Cover Letter and Resume.
We ask that you address all of the essential selection criteria outlined in the Position Description in your Cover Letter (max 2-3 pages)
While we review your application, get to know us by visiting http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/about/join-mse/why-join-mse