About University of Melbourne
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world, at number 1 in Australia and number 32 in the world (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2017-2018). We are globally engaged, comprehensive, research-intensive and committed to responding to the major challenges of our time.
About Melbourne School of Engineering (MSE)
Working at MSE is exciting and fast moving. We are working hard to transform engineering and IT research and teaching, guided by MSE 2025, our ten-year strategic plan. With an expected investment of $1 billion in people and infrastructure, we are creating the entrepreneurial leaders and technology of the future.
School of Computing and Information Systems (CIS)
As the No.1 Computing school in Australia, and 32nd in the QS Global rankings we are building a bigger; brighter; bolder tomorrow!
We are fortunate to be on the precipice of re-locating into a brand-new facility - Melbourne Connect, where we are creating a connected innovation ecosystem in the heart of Melbourne!
Sitting within our faculty-wide IT support team, but tightly aligned to our School of Computing and Information systems (CIS) this role will support two facilities within CIS:
- Human-Computer Interaction Lab (HCI) - used for technology design, development, and education
- Usability Lab - used for technology evaluation and education
The role will be responsible for day to day management of both laboratories and also support the researchers and students who use those facilities, typically in the discipline of Human Computer Interaction.
The successful candidate will have a strong technical background (e.g. in software development, hardware prototyping, or Internet of Things among others) and experience in managing or supporting a technology-intensive team or laboratory.
The role will involve a range of activities including:
- managing access to the lab and lab equipment;
- equipment maintenance,
- procurement and troubleshooting;
- staff and student training;
- planning and scheduling teaching activities with subject coordinators;
- coordinating internal and external lab bookings.
You will also drive engagement with external users across the university as well as industry users and collaborators, particularly in terms of promoting the activities of the labs.
Ideally you will be capable of demonstrating the following capability and experiences to this role:
- degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent industry experience.
- successfully managing a laboratory or similar facility, including overseeing budget processes, procurement, and asset management.
- proven hands-on experience with interactive technologies, for example through the development of prototypes (either software or hardware).
- proven ability to work closely with teachers and researchers, either in a support capacity or collaboratively.
- excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral, including ability to work effectively as part of a team with a range of stakeholders from both industry and research environments.
- excellent organisational skills with the demonstrated ability to prioritise tasks, plan and project manage activities while working well to tight deadlines.
Additionally, it would be even better (but not mandatory) if you also bought your:
- experience with agile application development, e.g. for mobile, desktop, server, or 3D platforms
- experience with motion tracking platforms and/or the Microsoft Kinect sensor for application development
- experience in hardware prototyping platforms, e.g. Arduino, the Raspberry Pi, or FabLabs.
- experience of working in industry or in close collaboration with industry.
What we offer you
We offer flexibility, whatever that may mean for you. Many of our benefit programs and onsite amenities are aimed at supporting you - including generous leave, child care subsidies, discounted parking, medical and health care. We offer extensive opportunities for personal and professional development and we'll support you in doing what you love.
We value diversity and recognise that the differences in our people's age, race, ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, physical ability and background bring richness to our work environment. We encourage all people with the requisite experience to apply for this role.
If you're curious, motivated and ready to undertake a challenging and rewarding role we're ready to meet you.
How to Apply
Apply online, complete the application and upload your Cover Letter addressing three (3) only of the essential selection criteria found in the attached position description, and your Resume.
While we review your application, get to know us by visiting http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/about/join-mse/why-join-mse