- Fulltime, fixed term 2 years
- Located at Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus
- Level B or Level A $68,914 - 115,199 + 17% Superannuation
A²I² (Applied Artificial Intelligence Institute) transforms industries and improves communities by exploring new frontiers in AI and implementing safe, effective AI. We pioneer methods and approaches for AI and Machine Learning problems with high potential impact. Our interests cover Machine Learning, Reinforcement Learning, Deep Learning, Optimisation and Software Engineering.
Working with a group of passionate researchers in this exciting role as a Research Fellow/Associate Research Fellow, you will be instrumental in shaping the research direction for applied research. You will initiate and conduct research in the area of Bayesian optimisation, pattern recognition, artificial intelligence and machine learning.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- initiating and conducting research under limited supervision to achieve the objectives of the relevant project or research agenda
- contributing to successful development of research programs or partnerships
- preparing and developing grant applications relating to the project(s), and contribute to the preparation, or where appropriate, individual preparation of research proposal submissions to external funding bodies
- contributing to the successful application of scholarly and research expertise to innovation and invention, with appropriate involvement in the commercialisation of outcomes
- conducting research and engaging in scholarly publications and prepare findings/results for oral and written communication, producing or contributing to the production of conference and seminar papers and publications from that research
To be successful, you'll have;
- PhD (or near competition) in Computer science or a relevant doctoral qualification
- postdoctoral high quality research experience in the area of Machine Learning (including statistics, optimisation, deep learning, computer vision), which has resulted in publications, conference papers, reports, or professional or technical contributions, which give evidence of research ability
- demonstrated ability to develop collaborative work teams and to work effectively as a member of the team
- demonstrated experience in contributing to the supervision of undergraduate honours and / or research higher degree students
For more information about this position, please see below:
Applications for this position close on Saturday, 2 November 2019.
This role has been identified as having contact with children and requires the incumbent to apply for and maintain a 'Working with Children Check' (refer to Deakin's Recruitment Procedure for further details).
Please ensure to include a cover letter, resume and responses to the Key Selection Criteria in your application.
For a confidential discussion regarding this position, please contact Dr Sunil Gupta, Associate Professor, Applied Artificial Intelligence Institute (A2I2) on +61 3 522 73109 or email email@example.com.
Are You Ready?
Deakin is one of the new breeds of global universities - agile, dynamic and innovative. We are committed to making a genuine difference in people's lives through excellence in education and research. As a Victorian university with a global impact, join us and let's see what we can achieve together.
Our people are important to us, and we understand the significance of providing them with a dynamic and diverse working environment, with opportunities to grow and develop their careers.
At Deakin, we offer a variety of benefits including a flexible and sustainable working environment, lifestyle benefits and various discounts with our third party suppliers.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.
We understand that our academic workforce is increasingly diverse, and we recognise academic careers may be placed on hold throughout many life circumstances. Achievement relative to opportunity places more emphasis on the quality, as opposed to the quantity of research outputs. In your application, we strongly encourage you to comment on your achievements relative to opportunity.