Salary: $102,967 - $122,268 p.a. (Level B) or $126,128 - $145,431 p.a. (Level C), plus 17% superannuation
About University of Melbourne
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world, at number 1 in Australia and number 32 in the world (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2017-2018). We are globally engaged, comprehensive, research-intensive and committed to responding to the major challenges of our time.
About Melbourne School of Engineering (MSE)
Working at MSE is exciting and fast moving. We are working hard to transform engineering and IT research and teaching, guided by MSE 2025, our ten-year strategic plan. With an expected investment of $1 billion in people and infrastructure, we are creating the entrepreneurial leaders and technology of the future.
About the Department of Chemical Engineering
We are a large Department with approximately 25 teaching and research staff, 30 full time research staff and around 90 PhD students.
Academic staff have been elected as Fellows of the Royal Society, the world's oldest scientific society, the Australian Academy of Science, and the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering.
Industry Engagement is a key focus, and we carry out research projects based on deep collaborations with government and business and work with organisations that provide internship opportunities for our students.
You'll find smart people, big problems, and plenty of opportunities to make a real difference in the world!
About the Role
We already have some of the best minds in their field, and now we're inviting talented Post Doc researchers and / or established Lecturer(s) to join this collegiate accomplished group of Chemical Engineering academics.
You will bring with you a strong research profile that has capacity to enhance our Bioprocessing research domain. This could be in either of the following fields:
- Food Engineering, including Industrial food processing
- Industrial Biotechnology, including biocatalysis and reactor engineering, recycling (waste to products), and waste treatment technologies
In this prominent and continuing position, you will join our academics and enrich our collaborative, interdisciplinary research and teaching across departments.
All candidates will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Degree in chemical, biochemical or process engineering or a related
- PhD in engineering, applied science or a cognate discipline.
- Track record of quality research in either food engineering or industrial biotechnology, as evidenced by research publications in leading journals and conferences.
- Record of achieving the highest levels of scholarship in engineering research relative to opportunity.
- Potential to lead a research program in fundamental and/or applied areas with clear links to industrial challenges.
- Capacity to teach effectively across a broad range of subjects, including the capacity to develop and deliver high quality seminars, lectures and workshops with a focus on the student experience as well as contribute to other teaching activities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to build networks with industry partners and other researchers, both local and international.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a professional and collegial manner, and to build rapport with all levels of staff within a diverse work environment.
Although not mandatory, the following additional accomplishments would be favourably regarded:
- Track record of engagement with industry and/or government
- Ability in applying for, and securing, awards
- Past experience of engagement with the community or media in the context of research or scholarship
For the more experienced candidate wanting consideration for a senior lecturer role please refer to the attached PD for further selection criteria.
Finally, this exciting career opportunity will support you independently and as a member of the team to work across all four pillars of an academic career and you will have responsibility to:
- pursue internationally leading research
- deliver teaching and teaching innovation
- engage with industry and other partner institutions
- take on service or leadership roles within the University
What we offer you
Apart from competitive salaries, our benefits are aimed at recognising and rewarding the contributions you make. We offer complete flexibility, whatever that may mean for you. Many of our benefit programs and onsite amenities are aimed at supporting you - including generous leave, child care subsidies, discounted parking, medical and health care. We offer extensive opportunities for personal and professional development and we'll support you in doing what you love.
How to Apply
- Apply online with a cover letter outlining your motivation and reasons for applying with your resume.
- We ask that you please address the selection criteria for this position on a separate document and keep your responses short and succinct.
- A 1-2 page research plan outlining projects that will be the focus of the first five years in this position, commenting on problem significance, general approaches to be used and possible funding sources.
While we take a look at your application, get to know us more and find out what it's like working at MSE by visiting http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/about/join-mse/why-join-mse
The University of Melbourne and MSE are strongly committed to supporting diversity and flexibility in the workplace. Applications for part-time or other flexible working arrangements will be welcomed and will be fully considered subject to meeting the inherent requirements of the position.