Level B: $102,967 - $122,268 p.a
Level C: $126,128 - $145,431 p.a
About Melbourne School of Engineering (MSE)
At MSE, we are committed to excellence. We are transforming our engineering and IT teaching and research at the University of Melbourne, guided by MSE 2025, our ten-year strategic plan. With an expected investment of $1 billion in people and infrastructure, we are creating the entrepreneurial leaders and technology of the future - the people and things that will drive innovation and productivity to make a sustainable impact on the world in which we live. It's an incredibly exciting time to be joining MSE!
About the School of Computing and Information Systems (CIS)
We are international research leaders with a focus on delivering impact and making a real difference in three key areas: data and knowledge, platforms and systems, and people and organisations. In this discipline, the School was ranked number 1 in Australia and 14th in the world in the 2018 QS World University Ranking exercise. At the School of Computing and Information Systems, you'll find smart people, big problems, and plenty of opportunities to make a real difference in the world.
We are now inviting outstanding academics with leadership aspiration from around the world with expertise in cyber security ranging from cyber security topics including: artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography and privacy, security management, distributed systems and network security to join our growing school.
This is a permanent / continuing position available at either a Lecturer or Senior Lecturer level, our academics have the opportunity to help enrich our collaborative, interdisciplinary research and teaching across departments. The position will also collaborate with the University of Melbourne Academic Centre of Cyber Security Excellence - one of two such centres in Australia funded by the Commonwealth Government.
We encourage you to share your passion with the next generation of leaders. We look for an ability to engage in thoughts of new and exciting ways to help the growth and development of our students, so that with your guidance we can empower them to unlock their full potential.
Whilst these areas are of particular interest, exceptional candidates from all areas of computer science and information systems will be considered especially those with research experience in:
- Security analytics and machine learning
- Cryptography and privacy
- Security management
- Distributed systems and network security
- Formal methods for verification
This exciting career opportunity will support you, independently and as a member of the team, to work across all four pillars of an academic career and you will have responsibility to:
- pursue internationally leading research
- deliver teaching and teaching innovation
- engage with industry and other partner institutions
- take on leadership roles within the University
We know that to drive systemic change towards gender equity, MSE must work hard to lift the representation of women academics from 22% in 2018 to at least 30% over the next five years pursuant to a Special Measure under Section 12(1) of the Equal Opportunity Act 2010 (Vic). MSE is committed to remedying this gender imbalance and providing a supportive environment where women in academia are supported in achieving their aspirations as they work toward fulfilling careers.
Selection criteria for the Lecturer (level B) includes:
- A PhD in Computer Science, Information Systems or similar
- Capacity to develop an international research funding profile
- Track record of independent quality research that demonstrates the potential to achieve the highest levels of scholarship in computing research
- Capacity to teach effectively and develop high quality learning experiences and assessment tools across a broad range of subjects
- Excellent oral and written communication; ability to interact with University staff at all levels and to build networks with industry and other researchers, both locally and internationally
- Experience in curriculum development & implementation at undergraduate & postgraduate level
- Demonstrated leadership and service to national and international professional bodies and to professional journals
- Relevant practical experience and track record of industry engagement
For a Senior Lecturer at Level C, please refer to the attached Position Description to gain insight to the additional selection criteria and responsibilities.
What we offer you
We offer flexibility, whatever that may mean for you. Many of our benefit programs and onsite amenities are aimed at supporting you - including generous leave, child care subsidies, discounted parking, medical and health care. We offer extensive opportunities for personal and professional development and we'll support you in doing what you love.
We seek to increase the diversity of our workforce and the representation of all members of our community that have been traditionally under-represented.
If you're curious, motivated and ready to undertake a challenging and rewarding role we're ready to meet you.
How to Apply
Apply online, complete the application and upload your Cover Letter and Resume. While we review your application, get to know us by visiting http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/about/join-mse/why-join-mse