About the role
This position represents an opportunity join an engaged team of software developers, systems administrators and bioinformaticians to contribute to the operation, support and functionality developments of Galaxy Australia, an award-winning publicly available platform for performing bioinformatics analyses and workflows for Australian researchers. You will provide operational support and actively contribute to the functionality and future developments of Galaxy Australia and be expected to undertake administrative task automation, production of ancillary services, tool development, training infrastructure automation and infrastructure as code development. The position will have a strong emphasis on operations and support focus, with software development as required.
You will have a degree in a relevant discipline, such as Computer Science, Bioinformatics, or Software Engineering, with subsequent equivalent industry experience or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training.
It is expected that you will have excellent technical problem-solving skills and will be required to provide informed judgment on the operation, support and improvement of software systems incorporated into Galaxy Australia and other systems at Melbourne Bioinformatics. You will possess specific technical and professional expertise including:
- Experience with continuous integration such as Jenkins/CircleCI/TravisCI on a Linux environment.
- Demonstrated experience with database programming (SQL) and administration, including practical experience with database systems such as PostgreSQL.
- Competency in the UNIX environment and the development of shell and other automation scripts.
- Experience with infrastructure automation using Ansible.
- A sound understanding of modern software engineering practices.
- Ability to be responsive to change and adapt to changing direction and/or priorities and have the capacity to communicate technical requirements in the context of a multidisciplinary team.
For information to assist you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria, please go to: https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria