- Two (2) New, Continuing Positions
- Research Focus - Power Electronics; Electronic Systems; or Embedded Systems
- Female academics particularly encouraged!
- Lecturer (Level B) $102,967 - $122,268 p.a or Senior Lecturer (Level C) $126,128 - $145,431 p.a
About University of Melbourne
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world, at number 1 in Australia and number 32 in the world (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2017-2018). We are globally engaged, comprehensive, research-intensive and committed to responding to the major challenges of our time.
About Melbourne School of Engineering (MSE)
Working at MSE is exciting and fast moving. We are working hard to transform engineering and IT research and teaching, guided by MSE 2025, our ten-year strategic plan. With an expected investment of $1 billion in people and infrastructure, we are creating the entrepreneurial leaders and technology of the future.
About the School of Electrical, Mechanical and Infrastructure Engineering (EMI)
We encompass the Electrical, Mechanical and Infrastructure Engineering Departments, recognising that engineered systems of present and future significance increasingly have connections to all three.
We are the oldest engineering school in Australia - initially founded in 1861 - and have evolved into a vibrant community of internationally recognised researchers focused on addressing major challenges of today and into the future.
The Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering has four research groups in:
- Power and Energy Systems
- Control and Signal Processing
- Communications and Networks
- Electronic and Photonic Systems
Within these groupings, we have internationally recognised researchers who collaborate on challenging research problems of impact to society resulting in a fertile and supportive research environment that enables researchers to reach their full potential.
We currently have two opportunities to join this team at either the Lecturer or senior Lecturer level (depending your experience and career accomplishments to date) within in the research areas of:
- Power Electronics
- Electronic Systems
- Embedded Systems
Outstanding applicants from other areas that complement the Department's existing research strengths will also be strongly considered.
This exciting career opportunity will support you, independently and as a member of the team, to work across all four pillars of an academic career and you will have responsibility to:
- pursue internationally leading research
- deliver teaching and teaching innovation
- engage with industry and other partner institutions
- take on leadership roles within the University
We know that to drive systemic change towards gender equity, MSE must work hard to lift the representation of women academics from 22% in 2018 to at least 30% over the next five years pursuant to a Special Measure under Section 12(1) of the Equal Opportunity Act 2010 (Vic). MSE is committed to remedying this gender imbalance and providing a supportive environment where women in academia are supported in achieving their aspirations as they work toward fulfilling careers.
Selection criteria for the Lecturer (level B) includes:
- A PhD in Electrical or Electronics Engineering or similar
- Capacity to develop an international research funding profile
- Track record of independent quality research that demonstrates the potential to achieve the highest levels of scholarship in engineering research
- Capacity to teach effectively and develop high quality learning experiences and assessment tools across a broad range of subjects
- Excellent oral and written communication; ability to interact with University staff at all levels and to build networks with industry and other researchers, both locally and internationally
- Experience in curriculum development and implementation at undergraduate and postgraduate level
- Demonstrated leadership and service to national and international professional bodies and to professional journals
- Relevant practical experience and track record of industry engagement
For a Senior Lecturer at Level C, please refer to the attached Position Description to gain insight to the additional selection criteria and responsibilities.
What we offer you
We offer flexibility, whatever that may mean for you. Many of our benefit programs and onsite amenities are aimed at supporting you - including generous leave, child care subsidies, discounted parking, medical and health care. We offer extensive opportunities for personal and professional development and we'll support you in doing what you love.
We seek to increase the diversity of our workforce and the representation of all members of our community that have been traditionally under-represented.
If you're curious, motivated and ready to undertake a challenging and rewarding role we're ready to meet you.
How to Apply
Apply online, complete the application and upload your Cover Letter and Resume.
While we review your application, get to know us by visiting http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/about/join-mse/why-join-mse