About the role
- Make a key contribution to an iconic Victorian heritage building, the University of Melbourne's Old Quad.
- Lead the design and delivery of new exhibition displays for contemporary audiences.
The University's Old Quadrangle ("Old Quad") has recently undergone an extensive restoration in consultation with Heritage Victoria, which has seen the north and areas of east wings largely returned to their original design, reaffirming the Old Quad's place as the key cultural, civic, and ceremonial heart of the University. Included in this restoration has been the development of exhibition spaces to support a program of curated displays other strategic cultural activations.
The Exhibition Project Designer will receive broad direction and supervision from the Operations Coordinator. The successful candidate will be expected to work autonomously reporting to the Operations Coordinator on a regular basis and seeking direction as required.
The Exhibition Project Designer requires strong skills in diplomacy, judgement and stakeholder management.
Working within a busy environment, this role requires the ability to respond quickly to changes and demands whilst maintaining accuracy and efficiency. A high degree of negotiation and creative problem-solving skills are required.
This will include successfully being able to interpret and apply relevant codes and regulations as well as University policy and procedures.
The successful candidate will be required to apply a broad range of technical knowledge and project management in exhibition design to ensure the successful delivery of temporary and permanent display elements
To apply for this position please address the following selection criteria:
- Tertiary qualifications in design or an allied field, coupled with demonstrated experience in the design and documentation of exhibitions in an art gallery, museum or similar environment.
- Demonstrated experience in controlling design projects and proven ability to coordinate and lead service providers and external contractors through the design process of exhibition projects from conception to delivery.
- Experience in the use of computer designed software packages such as ArchiCad/Vectorworks and related software including Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office.
- Excellent time management and organisational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and to work to tight timelines.
For information to assist you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria, please go to: https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria