- Full-time, permanent opportunities based at RMIT city campus
- Teaching and research in the School of Engineering, focusing on mechatronics
- Opportunities to contribute to the delivery of teaching & active research initiatives both in Melbourne and RMIT Vietnams campus (remotely)
- Work groups of progressive team of inter-disciplinary staff in School of Engineering, RMIT University, voted Employer of Choice for Gender Equality by the Workplace Gender Equality Agency in 2019
- Report directly to an Associate Dean of Manufacturing, Materials and Mechatronics
- Remuneration at Academic Level B or Academic Level C (dependent on experience), with competitive salary packaging + 17% superannuation
In this position, you will work collaboratively with a team of committed cross-disciplinary staff to provide a high level of teaching and research quality in the School of Engineering. Your focus will be Mechatronics, with a focus on industrial automation, autonomous systems, cyber-physical systems or industry 4.0. Consequently, you will develop and deliver authentic learning opportunities for students, in-line with the School and the University strategic goals. Furthermore, you will be expected to effectively engage with students, appropriate communities and relevant industries both nationally and internationally. This position may involve offshore teaching and program management. To be successful in this position, you have a PhD in relevant engineering field in order to deliver teaching, research and administrative activities effectively.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work independently contributing to efficient delivery of lectures, tutorials, practical classes and demonstrations through forward-thinking, sustainable and engaging course material for students undertaking undergraduate and postgraduate coursework programs
- Involvement in varied administrative duties based on the level of appointment related to the goals of courses and programs of the organisational unit
- Conduct research/scholarly activities under limited supervision both independently or as a member of a team, including publishing, research grants, collaborative projects and supervision of higher degree by research and postgraduate students
- Keeping up-to-date on trends and outcomes in international research that will benefit the knowledge and technical advancement of this position
- Participate and develop relationships with relevant departments of universities and other institutions and connect actively with industry, commerce and government
- Continuous self- development through active research and learning and learning contributions as well as participation in the on-going process improvement within this discipline and across the School of Engineering
Skills and Experience Required
- PhD qualified in related field of engineering and/or relevant working experience
- Proven teaching/ research and industry experience as well as expertise in Mechatronics with expertise on industrial automation, autonomous systems, cyber-physical systems or industry 4.0
- Experience in preparing high-quality curriculum and course materials at tertiary level for undergraduate and postgraduate programs
- Possess the capability to undertake high quality research evidenced by excellent track record in publishing in high impact journals and contributing to the development of new research initiatives, external research funding submissions and strong linkage to industry and government
- Commitment to perform academic administrative and to deliver full academic responsibilities relating to the coordination of an award program, year or course
- Experience in supervising Masters and PhD research candidates to completion are desirable
- Passionate to build strong relationships across all levels of professional staff within the organisation, and equip with high level of English language skills through technical report writing and verbal communications
Our people make everything at the University possible. We encourage new approaches to work and learning, stimulating change to drive positive impact. RMIT exists to create transformative experiences for our students, getting them ready for life and work. You will be a part of a productive and collaborative team, who values working relationships and outcomes through open and inclusive planning, continuous information sharing and transparent work practices.
RMIT is a multi-sector university of technology, design and enterprise with more than 91,000 students and 11,000 staff globally. RMIT offers postgraduate, undergraduate, vocational education and online programs to provide students with a variety of work-relevant pathways.
- RMIT has placed 10th in the 2019 Randstad Employer Brand Research Awards, up five spots from 2018.
We were named as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality by the Workplace Gender Equality Agency in 2019.
We achieved Gold Employer status for LGBTIQ inclusion in the Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI) in 2018 and again in 2019.
We were recognised as a top five employer in 2018 for workplace accessibility with the Australian Network on Disability.
Exceeding our targets in our Reconciliation Action Plan for Bundyi Girri - an important step in our reconciliation journey.
RMIT University is an Athena SWAN member and the College of Science, Engineering and Health is central to driving improvements in gender equality, diversity and inclusion, particularly in the Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Medicine (STEMM) disciplines.
The School of Engineering came into existence on January 1, 2016 and comprises the previous schools of Aerospace, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering; Civil, Environmental and Chemical Engineering; and Electrical and Computer Engineering. The School conducts teaching and research at both the City and Bundoora campuses, has 311 staff, 365 higher degree research students, 5121 coursework students and an annual budget of $130 million.
Details about the College may be found at www.rmit.edu.au/seh
- Flexible working arrangements
- Be part of RMITs academic life and attend various events and workshops
- Access to RMIT staff gym (including free Yoga and Pilates classes)
- 2% salary increase each year and annual leave loading of 1.35%
- MYKI pass discount
- Additional annual leave
To find out more, please visit our website: RMIT Employee Benefits
Applications close on Tuesday 30th July 2019.
Applicants will need to attach their updated resume and a cover letter expressing their suitability for this position and their achievements. Applicants are requested to separately address the key selection criteria as outlined in the Position Description.
This role will require satisfactory confirmation of a Working with Children Check.
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to be a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.
RMIT was named as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality (EOCGE) from the Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA) in 2018 based on significant progress made in 2017, and Gold Employer status in the Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI) in recognition of our commitment to celebrating the diverse genders, sexes and sexualities (DGSS) of our community.