Based in Johannesburg or Nairobi, the Arts, Culture and Society Editor will be responsible for developing content for the section, engaging with the African academy to make The Conversation Africa a world-class, open access source of inspired news content, freely available to the public and other media.
Output 1: Manage section content
- Article selection and research
- Commissioning and editing copy
- Managing the section
- Issues related to the arts, including among others, languages, literature, art history, fine art and photography, music and musicology and performing arts (including theatre and opera).
- Issues related to culture and society would extend to issues that have a bearing on critical societal issues and the strengthening of human development. They will also include anthropology and historical studies, philosophy and sociology. Examples include the media’s role in democracy, the use of photography to reclaim history and empower marginalised community, the interplay between history and contemporary society and creating new artistic spaces, and the role of language in presenting a cultural experience.
- Other areas include food, design, fashion and textiles and architecture.
Success will be measured by a visible strengthening of arts, culture and society coverage through the increased participation of a wide range of African arts and humanities scholars.
Output 2: Manage stakeholders
- Maintain and develop key stakeholder partnerships
- Secure and protect the good name and reputation of TC-Africa
- Manage complaints and other editorial issues relating to the section
Qualifications and experience
- Experience in journalism and editing
- Familiarity with arts, culture and society topic areas
- Ideally, experience in online production
- Strong organisation skills, ability to write to a daily deadline, manage multiple tasks and work as part of a team
- Care and attention to detail
- Strong relationship-building skills
- Ability to work autonomously as well as within a team
- An ability to generate compelling story ideas
- Patience and ability to work under pressure
- Teamwork and cooperation
- Concern for quality and order