Research Fellow - Breeding & Pre-Clinical Research on Medical Cannabis
- Full-time, fixed-term 3 years contract opportunity based in RMIT University
- Opportunity to use your knowledge and experience in analytical chemistry & cell culture assays in this Industry funded projects
- Work with progressive and enthusiastic team of researchers and industry partners to conduct research for the search of anti-cancer properties on medical cannabis
- Report directly to Associate Professor Nitin Mantri
- Remuneration at Academic Level B, with competitive salary packaging + 17% superannuation
Position Summary As Research Fellow, you will be:
- Conducting chemical profiling and pre-clinical studies on various medical cannabis strains
- Work collaboratively with researchers and industry partners of varying expertise to identify quality medical cannabis strains for treating serious health issues such as cancer and epilepsy
- Utilise your expertise and in-depth knowledge on analytical chemistry and cell culture assays in the search to identify the best possible cannabis strains to treat health issues i.e. cancer and epilepsy
Roles and Responsibilities
- Actively carry-out research on chemical profiling of varieties of medical cannabis strains and using cell culture (with the possibility of using animal model) assays for anti-cancer properties
- Undertake report writing, research articles and contributing to external research funding submissions
- Supervision of higher degree by research candidates
- Work independently as well as collaboratively with the Australian and International partners in contributing to quality research showcasing research areas outputs publications, development of new research initiatives, presentation of research findings in high quality journals
- Provide and oversee good housekeeping and laboratory practice to ensure a safe working policies and procedures
- Initiate and contribute to preparation of research strategy and research developments strategy to meet the University and School objectives
- Contribute 10% of your time to supervise and mentor undergraduate and postgraduate students as part of your coursework teaching activities.
Skills and Experiences Required
- PhD-qualified in Pharmaceutical Science, Applied Chemistry, Medical Science, Natural Products, Traditional Medicine with commensurate working experience and expertise
- Proven experimental experience in analytical chemistry and various extraction methods such as supercritical CO2 extraction
- Demonstrated ability to perform cell culture assays especially in anti-cancer screening will be highly regarded
- Possess an excellent track record in gaining recognition through: publications and presentations at conferences, technical report writing, and research experience within the field.
- Strong organisational and time-management skills to meet the demand of workloads and deadlines.
- Strong verbal communication skills and sound knowledge medical cannabis
- Passion and ability to build strong relationships across all levels of professional staff within the organisation.
Culture Our people make everything at the University possible. We encourage new approaches to work and learning, stimulating change to drive positive impact. RMIT exists to create transformative experiences for our students, getting them ready for life and work. You will be a part of a productive and collaborative team, who values working relationships and outcomes through open and inclusive planning, continuous information sharing and transparent work practices. Benefits
- Flexible working arrangements
- Be part of RMITs academic life and attend various events and workshops
- Access to RMIT staff gym (including free Yoga and Pilates classes)
- MYKI pass discount
- Additional annual leave
To find out more, please visit our website: RMIT Employee Benefits Our Organisation RMIT is a multi-sector university of technology, design and enterprise with more than 91,000 students and 11,000 staff globally. RMIT offers postgraduate, undergraduate, vocational education and online programs to provide students with a variety of work-relevant pathways. The School of Science provides over 45 bachelor and postgraduate programs, and undertakes world class research across the disciplines of physical sciences, mathematical sciences and computer science. One of RMIT's top-performing research schools, we deliver research that addresses the 'real life questions' essential to Australia's innovation agenda. Our high-quality teaching programs inspire students to pursue careers in a range of industries including health, materials technology, food, geospatial and surveying, environmental analysis, banking and commerce, as well as computing and IT roles and research and development across a wide range of areas. The School has staff, students and facilities on both the City and Bundoora campuses, has 300 staff, 327 higher degree research students, 3347 coursework students and an annual budget of $120 million. Details relating to the School can be found at www.rmit.edu.au/about/our-education/academic-schools/science/ To Apply For further information, please view the position description click on https://www.rmit.edu.au/careers and search for job number 578174 or contact Associate Professor Nitin Mantri at firstname.lastname@example.org Applications close on Friday 26th July 2019. Applicants are requested to upload an updated resume and a cover letter of not more than two pages highlighting the suitability for this position and your achievements. Applicants are requested to separately address the key selection criteria as outlined in the Position Description. This role will require satisfactory confirmation of a Working with Children Check & Victorian Police Check. You will be required to maintain Police Clearance throughout your employment. RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community. RMIT was named as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality (EOCGE) from the Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA) in 2018 based on significant progress made in 2017, and Gold Employer status in the Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI) in recognition of our commitment to celebrating the diverse genders, sexes and sexualities.