- Development Manager position with Australia's leading University
- Based in the Central Advancement team, with a geographic focus on the United States and other international markets
- Raise funds from major donors and deliver the international fundraising strategy
- Attractive salary package (17% Super) and professional development opportunities
Established in 1853, the University of Melbourne is a public-spirited institution that makes distinctive contributions to society in research, learning and teaching and engagement. It's consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world, with international rankings of world universities placing it as number 1 in Australia and number 32 in the world (Times Higher Education World University Rankings, 2018).
About the role
Reporting to the Associate Director of Development (Major Gifts) you will join a central fundraising team fundraising that supports the academic priorities of the University. You will work in a University-wide program, with a geographical focus on the United States and other international markets. You will work with your own portfolio of donors and play a key role in delivering the philanthropic strategy in Melbourne and abroad.
Specifically, you will;
- Manage prospective major donors; individuals, charitable funds, trusts and foundations, and corporates, as well as senior fundraising volunteers
- Develop strategies that create pathways with donors driving meetings, asks and income raised
- Manage a portfolio of 100 current and prospective donors with a focus on building a strong gift pipeline of major donations secured from individuals, trusts, foundations and (in some instances) corporate entities, from qualification of prospects through to gift negotiation and completion
- Prepare proposals and engage donors via phone, email, face to face meetings and events
- Focus on securing major and leadership gifts in the range $10,000 to $100,00 and at times beyond
- Support and further develop the international philanthropic strategy in Australia and beyond
- Effectively engage in working with senior level volunteers to advance prospective donor fundraising strategies and activities, including donor cultivation and solicitation
- Build and manage relationships with current and prospective donors to meet a number of annual performance targets such as meetings with prospective donors, 'asks' made and income raised
- Develop tailored communication that enables you to develop mutually beneficial relationships with high level alumni and stakeholders
- Effectively engage university-wide stakeholders; Leadership, Senior Academic, and Professional staff
To be successful in this role you will have experience raising significant funds in a large, complex organisation either through philanthropic fundraising or relationship-based sales. You will also be experienced in having purposeful conversations with a wide range of people that leads to securing major gifts/significant revenue.
You will be expected to hold an appropriate tertiary qualification at the postgraduate level with relevant experience in a role with a significant fundraising component; and/or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training.
The key to your success in this role will be;
- Your proven experience managing major donor giving / client relationships from end to end, including initial engagement, closing and ongoing stewardship
- High emotional intelligence with an adaptable and genuine communication style that engages a wide range of people
- Excellent attention to detail with a methodical approach and the ability to deliver on tasks
- Understanding and demonstrated experience in navigating large scale and highly complex environments
- Your experience as a senior team member who is able to mentor and guide less experienced team members
- Your experience, interest and ability to travel, as this role will involve international travel
The University employs people of outstanding calibre and offers a unique environment where staff are valued and rewarded.
Benefits include flexibility, an excellent remuneration package (17% superannuation) and professional development.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, CV and document addressing the key selection criteria listed in the position description.
For information to assist you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria, please go to: https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria