About University of Melbourne
University of Melbourne is consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world, holding the number 1 spot in Australia and number 32 in the world (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2017-2018). We are globally engaged, comprehensive, research-intensive and committed to respond to the major social, economic and environmental challenges of our time and we're empowered to build a better world for us all to live in.
About Melbourne School of Engineering
At MSE, what seems simple on the outside is incredibly complex on the inside. Our journey starts with our students and our student numbers are rapidly growing as we embark on our transformational strategy to double our output in the next ten years. Our MSE2025 Strategy is supported by our business functions including our dedicated Finance team that help keep our University moving towards the future and push boundaries which leads us down exciting paths. We are an innovative, progressive & outward looking and we invite you to step into our world and see how great minds collide, partner, form friendships, challenge and create incredible work together.
We now have a fantastic opportunity for a driven Assistant Accountant to join our multifaceted and fast-paced Finance and Performance Team.
You will work in a hands-on and detailed accounting role in one of Australia's largest employers getting exposure to all areas of MSE, deep diving into processes across academic, research and our business units supporting the provision of budgeting, forecasting and reporting responsibilities including assisting with management of research contracts, trusts, audit and compliance.
What you'll be doing:
- Assisting the Senior Management Accountant and Management Accountant in analysis, produce and interpret data and make practical recommendations to a variety of stakeholders including our senior executives
- Assisting with month end reconciliations, journals and invoices
- Assist in the preparation of financial reports including variance and forecast analysis
- Developing management reports to assist in visibility of business performance
- Assisting in the preparation of annual budgets
- Degree in Accounting or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training
- Proven experience in producing management reports and analysis to senior management
- Experience in budgeting, forecasting, monitoring financial performance, analysing and reporting on variances
- Highly-developed communication skills, including the ability to prepare a range of documentation and presentation for various audiences and interact with & gain commitment from a diversity of stakeholders
- Sound analytical and problem-solving skills, including the ability to interpret data, identify trends/issues, and make practical recommendations
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office, including advanced excel and experience with enterprise systems
- Experience with VBA, databases and reporting and analytical tools, such as Microsoft. Power BI, Tableau and OBIEE would be highly desirable
More about you:
You will enjoy building collaborative relationships across the business at all levels as well as thrive in a team environment that relentlessly pursues new concepts, continuous improvement and moves fast from idea to action.
This role would ideally suit an experienced Junior Accountant looking for their next career step or an Assistant Accountant from a small-medium organisation wanting to join a large organisation.
How to Apply
Your application should include a Cover Letter and Resume.
With your application, we ask that you briefly outline your experience against the selection criteria in the position description (one page only).
While we take a look at your application, get to know us more by visiting our social media channels and website https://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/