The Conversation Indonesia is part of a global network with teams and sites in Australia, United Kingdom, United States, Africa, France, Canada, Spain. The Conversation Indonesia is the first edition in Asia. Our team is passionate and focused on making The Conversation Indonesia a go-to source for expert knowledge on Indonesian and regional issues and making The Conversation network a leading global media site.
- We’re looking for a talented bilingual journalist (English and Indonesian) to join The Conversation Indonesia as associate editor. In this role, s/he will map out important research around environmental issues, such as marine conservation and fisheries management, deforestation and biodiversity, among others. S/he will support the editorial team in commissioning and will report on news around higher education and research environment in Indonesia.
- The role requires a curious mind who enjoys reading the latest research and a knack for presenting sophisticated ideas to lay readers. The ideal applicant will be a creative thinker with contacts in academia who follow the news closely and stays up to date with the latest research.
An appropriate salary will be negotiated. The location of this role is in Jakarta.
Send your CV with your cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line [Associate Editor] by 21st April 2019. Please provide contact details of two referees.
The Conversation Indonesia Executive Editor and The Conversation Deputy Executive Editor
Other Key Relationships:
The Conversation Indonesia’s Environment Editor; The Conversation Indonesia’s editorial team; The Conversation Indonesia’s Audience Development Manager, the Indonesian higher education and research sector.
Mapping out research findings on environment issues, commissioning academics and reporting on the higher education and research sector.
- Map out research and scholars in the environmental issues, particularly on climate change, oceans, fisheries management, deforestation, agriculture and land management, as well as biodiversity.
- Working with the Environment Editor, commission articles on important research on environmental issues, particularly on climate change, oceans, fisheries management, deforestation, agriculture and land management, as well as biodiversity.
- Support the editorial team in identifying relevant research and scholars that can provide insight to important issues of the day.
- Report on current issues regarding the higher education and research sector.
- Build and maintain relationships with news sources in government, civil society, business, and other sectors.
- Keep abreast on research.
- Monitor content from other editions for translation to Indonesian language, and ensure the quality of translations.
Relationship with academics
- Build and maintain relationships with academics through outreach to universities and research institutes
- Support The Conversation Indonesia’s editorial team in training activities for academic authors on how to communicate their research to a general audience
- Experience in reporting in English in print and/or online media
- Contacts in the Indonesian university sector
- Social media skills
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Creativity, the ability to think laterally to generate innovative story ideas
- An understanding of, and commitment to, The Conversation’s aim of contributing to the quality of public debate
Send your CV with your cover letter to email@example.com, with the subject line [Associate Editor]. Please provide contact details of two referees.