- We’re looking for a talented bilingual journalist (English and Indonesian) with a keen interest in business and economy in the Indonesian context and as it relates to the global economy. S/he will lead The Conversation Indonesia’s coverage on business and economy issues.
- The role requires an outgoing personality who can present well and build relationships with senior experts from leading Indonesian universities. The ideal applicant will be a creative thinker with high-level contacts in academia and public policy sector who follow the news closely and stays up to date with the latest research.
- We are looking for a clever and creative self-starter who has a flair for online production, headline-writing and copy-editing in Indonesian language and English. A knack for presenting sophisticated ideas to curious readers who are not experts in the field will be highly valued.
An appropriate salary will be negotiated.
The location of this role is in Jakarta, however this is negotiable.
Send your CV with your cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line [Business + Economy] by 21st April 2019. Please provide contact details of two referees.
Business + Economy Editor
The Conversation Indonesia Executive Editor and The Conversation Deputy Executive Editor
Other Key Relationships:
The Conversation Indonesia’s staff; The Conversation Indonesia’s Audience Development Manager, the Indonesian higher education and research sector.
Produce high-quality expert analysis on business and economy issues, provide outreach to Indonesian academics, and train academics to communicate their research in easy to understand language.
- Commission articles from academics on business and economy issues.
- Screen pitches from academic authors to ensure the best ideas and stories about research be published on our site.
- Provide editorial guidance to academic authors whose ideas have been selected for publishing or who have been commissioned to write.
- Publish approved articles.
- Monitor important issues of the day.
- Build and maintain relationships with news sources in government, civil society, business, and other sectors.
- Keep abreast on business and economy research.
- Monitor content from other editions for translation to Indonesian language, and ensure the quality of translations.
Relationship with academics
- Build and maintain relationships with academics through outreach to universities and research institutes.
- With the editorial team, facilitate The Conversation Indonesia’s training activities for academic authors on how to communicate their research to a general audience.
- Experience in editing in English in print and/or online media
- A deep understanding of Indonesian business, economy and public policy issues
- Contacts in the Indonesian university sector
- A flair for headline writing
- Social media skills
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Creativity, the ability to think laterally to generate innovative story ideas
- Presentation and training skills
- An understanding of, and commitment to, The Conversation’s aim of contributing to the quality of public debate
Closing date: 21st April
Send your CV with your cover letter to email@example.com, with the subject line [Business + Economy]. Please provide contact details of two referees.