At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
UNSW is currently implementing a ten-year strategy to 2025 and our ambition for the next decade is nothing less than to establish UNSW as Australia's global university. We aspire to this in the belief that a great university, which is a global leader in discovery, innovation, impact, education and thought leadership, can make an enormous difference to the lives of people in Australia and around the world.
Ranked 14th in the world, UNSW Law is Australia's leader in progressive and rigorous legal education and research. Inspired by principles of justice, UNSW Law through its teaching, research and community outreach, promotes a holistic understanding of law and its role in society. It has a strong and unwavering commitment to social justice, technical excellence and inter-disciplinary research, informed by the knowledge that law is a vital part of commerce and government, but that it can and does bear harshly and disproportionately upon sectors of the community.
About the role
- Postdoctoral Fellow (Level B): $105,108 - $123,908 plus 9.5% Superannuation and leave loading
- Senior Lecturer (Level C): $127,663 - $146,465 plus 9.5% Superannuation and leave loading
- Associate Professor (Level D): $152,731 - $167.765 plus 9.5% Superannuation and leave loading
- Fixed-term appointment for five months - two positions available
- Full time (35 hours per week)
As part of the University's 10-year growth strategy in India, UNSW Law has the opportunity to offer two Future of Change Research Fellows to undertake a research project that relates to contemporary legal issues in India. These fellowships will be available to applicants who are undertaking an Indian-focused research project that has direct synergies with the research strengths of the UNSW Law Faculty, so that the project will both provide benefit to the fellow's research agenda and the UNSW Law Faculty's research agenda. Projects must involve intended collaboration directly with members of the UNSW Law Faculty.
Specific responsibilities for this role include:
Level B - Postdoctoral Fellow
- Conduct research in the area outlined in their accepted project, including leading law and policy components of interdisciplinary projects working independently as well as part of a team
- Prepare manuscripts, abstracts and, where relevant to project, grant applications
- Design and develop innovative concepts and ideas for further collaborative research
- Collaborate in developing a stream of research at UNSW Law and building capacity in relation to law and policy as it relates to their accepted project.
Level C (in addition to the above) - Senior Research Fellow
- Leading research and projects in the area of their accepted project
- Lead the development and submission of competitive research grant applications, as relevant
- Design, develop and deliver outcomes measurements, as well as deliver workshops to industry partners, if necessary
- Build and maintain new partnerships and collaborations and contribute to business development activities
Level D (in addition to the above) - Associate Professor
- Provide leadership in the relevant research program and encouraging and ensuring excellence
- In consultation with other researchers, initiate and conduct studies of relevance to the goals of their research project and UNSW Law
- Identify and attract national and international research support, including fellowships, project and/or program grants, and major infrastructure grants
- High quality supervision of honours and postgraduate research projects
Specific requirements include:
- PhD (or equivalent doctoral-level qualification) in Law
- High level research in contemporary legal issues, law and policy in Indian law that has direct synergies with research strengths of UNSW Law
- High level qualitative research and demonstrated excellence in publishing in leading journals relevant to their accepted project
- Strong track record of high-quality publications and conference presentations
- Ability to maintain a sound governance framework for research activities and ensure appropriate ethics approval, reporting and documentation of research outcomes
Level C (in addition to the above)
- A strong track record of publications in relevant well-respected peer-review journals, attracting competitive research grants and funding
- Demonstrated ability to design, develop and lead evaluation research and measurement of outcomes
- Ability to articulate a strategy for the development of the research stream in the area of their accepted project
Level D (in addition to the above)
- Recognised research leader with an established international profile and outstanding research record as evidenced by capacity to attract category 1 research funding, publications in top journals and successful higher degree supervision
- Proven experience in developing institutional links and collaborative research programs
- Demonstrated leadership in building engagement and partnerships with the profession and industry
Please address the selection criteria listed within the position description in your application. Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed.
Applicants should contact potential collaborators prior to applying.
Talent Acquisition Consultant
T: 02 9385 0962
Applications close: 11:30pm 2nd May 2019
UNSW aspires to be the exemplar Australian university and employer of choice for people from diverse backgrounds. UNSW aims to ensure equality in recruitment, development, retention and promotion of staff, and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their gender, cultural background, disability, sexual orientation or identity. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria to apply.