Are you interested in supporting best practice in the ethical treatment of animals in research?
Do you have the relevant knowledge to ensure compliance with statutory requirements?
Provide valuable support to researchers on animal ethics issues within a major national research facility
As the Animal Research Ethics Coordinator - Australian Animal Health Laboratory (AAHL), you will provide leadership and support to AAHL-based CSIRO staff in their attendance to ethical research activity. Working closely with relevant individuals and teams, you will provide assistance with the ethical review and approval processes for animal research within the AAHL facility and CSIRO.
More specifically you will:
- Provide advice and support to research staff on animal ethics issues in the development and implementation of their projects and submission of ethics applications.
- Work with the AAHL AEC Chair and committee members to review ethics applications and reports, and provide feedback to applicants.
- Support the administration of AAHL AEC meetings.
- Collaborate in the development and delivery of an animal research ethics awareness, training and support program.
- Maintain appropriate records to ensure compliance with all national guidelines, relevant state legislation and CSIRO policies.
- Develop communication to support ethical research practice and support the implementation of CSIRO's Animal Welfare Procedure, ensuring compliance with relevant statutory requirements.
- Manage the licencing and reporting requirements of the AAHL AEC including external review processes.
The role would ideally suit an experienced research ethics administrator or mid-career research scientist with a strong interest in animal research ethics. Experience working with animal ethics committees in Australia would be highly desirable. In this role you will have the opportunity to broaden your experience, gain exposure to, and provide input, support and advice to a diverse range of research projects in relation to animal ethics.
- Location: Geelong (AAHL), Victoria
- Salary: AU $97k to AU $105k per annum, plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Tenure: Indefinite
- Reference No.: 60744
To be successful you will hold a relevant tertiary qualification in the field of biological science or veterinary science (preferably at a postgraduate level), and/or you will have equivalent experience in a research environment.
You will also have:
- High-level communication skills and a history of professional behaviours.
- A sound understanding of animal research ethics principles and relevant statutory requirements.
- A sound understanding of scientific research methods used in animal research and the use of these methods in a variety of settings.
- The ability to effectively interpret policies, procedures and guidelines, and provide clear and consistent advice.
- The ability to professionally handle sensitive and confidential information, and use appropriate judgment and discretion.
- Strong problem solving skills and adaptability, with the ability to manage and prioritise competing and often ambiguous demands to meet deadlines.
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and collaborate widely with a variety of people.
To see all the criteria required for success in this role, click on the 'Position Details' link below. Apply today!
We solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. Discover more about CSIRO
CSIRO's Commitment to Diversity
We're working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability for the role and your motivations for applying.
Sunday 31 March, 2019 (11:59pm AEDT) We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date.