- Tenurable opportunity
- Salary range: Level B $97,310 - $115,350 p.a. plus 17% superannuation
- Opportunity for an outstanding researcher with expertise in International Relations and knowledge of the Indo Pacific region
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to 'innovate and inspire' there is no better time to join Western Australia's top University.
The School of Social Sciences offers a rich learning and research environment spanning social and cultural studies in Australia, Europe and Asia. As well as undergraduate and postgraduate programs, the School supports an active research program.
The Discipline of Political Science and International Relations offer postgraduate and undergraduate programs in Political Science, International Relations, International Development and Public Policy.
We are looking for candidates to complement the existing research strengths of the discipline, which broadly include:
- Governance and public policy;
- Politics and international relations of the Indo-Pacific region; and
- International political economy, regionalism, and global governance.
About the opportunity
In this role, you will undertake research, teaching, unit coordination and student supervision in collaboration with colleagues and under the direction of the Head of School of Social Sciences. Your responsibilities will include teaching the UWA's Master of International Relations and other courses offered in the School.
Preference will be given to candidates with expertise in the area of international relations with an empirical focus in the Indo-Pacific region.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- PhD in Political Science or cognate discipline
- Strong record of research publication relative to career stage
- Demonstrated research program in a research area that complements and grows the research currently conducted in the Discipline Group
- Demonstrated ability to build research collaboration
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to co-ordinate and teach units at all postgraduate and undergraduate levels in International Relations and related areas of Political Science and International Relations
- Demonstrated commitment to pursue the best educational practices, and to implement institutional goals
- Demonstrated ability to relate well to staff and students at all levels and evidence of a commitment to equity and diversity principles
The applicant must be motivated to contribute to the academic environment of the School and have a strong research portfolio within International Relations, as well as the ability to contribute to the broader research environment in the School.
Benefits and Conditions of Employment:
- Start-up grant negotiable
- Tenurable position
- Employer contribution to superannuation is 17% of salary
- Recreation leave of 20 working days per annum
- Long Service Leave after 10 years
- Relocation assistance including airfares, relocation allowance and short-term accommodation (if applicable)
Australia's sunniest capital city offers you more than just amazing sunsets. Perth effortlessly blends urban cool with raw natural beauty and makes the perfect base for your unique Western Australian experience. Bustling with bars, restaurants, shopping and cultural spaces, Perth is also home to Kings Park - one of the world's largest inner-city parks, as well as beautiful wineries and stunning beaches where you can even swim with wild dolphins.
Closing date: 3 April 2019
This position is open to international applicants.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description and applicants should clearly demonstrate they meet the selection criteria.
Please see the position description prior to applying: Position description - Lecturer in Political Science (International Relations).docx
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce. We celebrate inclusion and diversity and believe gender equity is fundamental to achieving our goal of being a top 50 university by 2050.
We have child friendly areas on campus, including childcare facilities. Flexible work arrangements, part-time hours and job sharing will all be considered.
UWA has been awarded Platinum Employer Status for being a Top Ten Employer for LGBTI Inclusion by the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2017).