About the University of Melbourne
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world, holding the number 1 spot in Australia and number 32 among all universities globally (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2018). We are globally engaged, renowned for delivering learning & teaching programs, we are deeply connected to business, government and the community through our research and impact, all to achieve and contribute to a better society which helps transform our lives.
Engagement encompasses the interactions between the University and wider society for the enrichment of both, and forms one strand of the University's 'triple helix' strategy. Chancellery Engagement oversees the University's engagement agenda, detailed in Engagement at Melbourne 2015-2020. Led by the Vice Principal (Engagement), the portfolio leads strategy in several functional domains - marketing and communications, cultural and public engagement, and civic and community engagement - working collaboratively across Chancellery, University Services, academic divisions and external partners.
About the Role
The University's Old Quadrangle ("Old Quad") is undergoing an extensive restoration, reaffirming the Old Quad's place as the key cultural, civic, and ceremonial heart of the University.
The restoration will provide high quality social and event spaces to the vibrant University campus, where multi-functional spaces will include an exhibition and gallery space to house cultural collections, capable of suiting a range of events. (More information about the Old Quad Restoration is available at https://ourcampus.unimelb.edu.au/old-quad.)
Reporting to the Old Quad Operations Coordinator, the Old Quad Learning and Engagement Officer will support the day-to-day operations and maintenance of the engagement spaces, coordination and drafting of communications, and assist in the delivery of visitor experience activities and other strategic engagement initiatives.
In this role you will have the opportunity to liaise with education partners and internal and external stakeholders on Old Quad initiatives and programs. Supporting the Operations Coordinator with the recruitment and rostering of casual staff, you may also assist in the day-to-day supervision of internship students and training our volunteer ambassadors.
- An undergraduate degree or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience. Graduate qualifications are desirable, though are not essential.
- Critical awareness and engagement with different platforms and methods for engaging broad audiences with arts/culture and in the context of higher education
- Experience in assisting in event production and facilities management, in a public space
- Demonstrated experience in developing and managing teams of casual staff and volunteers
- Proven abilities in arts and cultural communication, in both written and verbal forms;
- Experience in developing content for, and managing social media and online platforms
- Demonstrated stakeholder management experience and in particular, liaising with University faculties, external suppliers, students, artists, educators and academics
- Flexible family friendly policies, providing generous leave and working conditions, and flexible work arrangements
- The opportunity to work in a culturally rich environment
- Maximise your benefits through our Salary Packaging scheme
- A substantial discount to eligible staff and their immediate families in undertaking further studies at the University of Melbourne
To find out more, go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/working/benefits
To apply, please submit a cover letter, CV and document addressing the key selection criteria listed in the position description.