Deakin University and Southwest University based in Chongqing, China have established a joint research Centre on Agricultural Big Data. The intent being to build upon the long-term focus of Southwest University in the area of agriculture with Deakin's growing reputation in data analytics and sustainable regional and rural development through the establishment of industry focused, innovative research projects.
The Postdoctoral Research Fellow will play a key role in the development of this collaboration and will make a substantial contribution to managing the relationship between the two Universities and in coordinating joint research activities in the areas of Agricultural Big Data and higher degree research (HDR) supervision.
This is a 3 year fixed-term position and can be situated at either the Geelong Waurn Ponds or Melbourne Burwood campus.
To be successful, you'll have:
- post-doctoral/professional experience in multidisciplinary research with a focus on life sciences or a closely related discipline with evidence in high-quality publications, conference papers, reports, or professional or technical contributions
- a capacity to plan and coordinate the design and delivery of collaborative research projects within your area of expertise and organisation of related meetings, workshops and conferences
- an ability to plan, initiate and conduct high quality research in the life sciences area including an ability to supervise research students
- strengths in establishing and maintaining highly effective working relationships with a diverse range of people
- a willingness to travel to China, and demonstrated fluency in English and Mandarin is preferable
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- contribute to your specific area of research, scholarship or creative activity through publication or exhibition in quality outlets
- contribute to research projects and collaborations to create new insights and opportunities in relation to the joint collaboration and which lead to demonstrable outcomes
- contribute to the successful development of research programs and partnerships between the two Universities
- supervision and/or examination of honours students or assistance with supervision, management and timely completion of HDR students
- lifting the research profile and reputation of Deakin by means of public lectures, seminars, public debate and policy formation on key research issues
Deakin University is proud to be recognised as an organisation that offers a friendly, supportive and challenging working environment. Our staff are committed to making a genuine difference to people's lives through excellence in education and research.
We acknowledge the importance of providing a dynamic and diverse working environment and offer variety in day-to-day roles as well as professional development opportunities to assist staff to grow and progress their careers.
Deakin University staff have the opportunity to interact with colleagues from a diverse range of cultures and professional backgrounds, all of whom share a common interest in lifelong learning.
We value our staff and understand that they are more than just their jobs, that's why we offer benefits that enhance work life. Some of Deakin's workplace benefits include:
- 17% superannuation
- flexible work arrangements
- discounts with third party suppliers for health insurance, car rentals IT and more
The flexible learning options we provide our students and our diverse team of professionals and academic experts has enabled us to achieve a 5-star rating by the prestigious university ranking organisation Quacquarelli Symonds. For eight consecutive years, we've achieved the highest level of overall student satisfaction among Victorian universities.
We have a network of campuses, learning centres and research centres across Victoria and corporate offices in Melbourne, China, Indonesia, India and Sri Lanka. Our online Cloud campus provides more than 13,000 students with access to state-of-the-art digital tools and direct access to world-renowned academics.
As a Victorian university with a global impact, Deakin is translating its research into commercial outcomes that will help drive innovation for Australia's economy.
Applications close on Sunday 3rd February 2019. When applying, please include a complete resume and responses to the selection criteria.
At Deakin we value diversity, embrace difference and nurture a connected, safe and respectful community. We recognise that our academic workforce is increasingly diverse with a variety of backgrounds, experiences and responsibilities. In many cases, academic careers can be put on hold through career breaks or part-time work arrangements to take on caring duties, gain experience in other industries, for medical reasons or other personal circumstances. * Achievement relative to opportunity places more emphasis on the quality as opposed to the quantity of research outputs. In your application, we encourage you to comment on your achievements relative to opportunity.*