Australian Centre For Geomechanics
- Three year appointment
- Salary range: Level A $68,452 - $92,497 - Level B 97,310 - 115,350
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top Australian universities and a member of the prestigious Group of Eight research-intensive universities ranked among the top 100 universities in the world.
About the work area:
The ACG is a multi-disciplinary joint venture and UWA Research Centre which provides professional education and research services to companies within the mining sector, in the disciplines of underground, open pit and environmental mining geomechanics. The overall aim of the Centre is to improve mine safety.
The appointee will, under the general direction of the ACG Professor of Geotechnical Engineering, work on research projects in the areas of 'Rock Memory Testing, Post-peak testing for Strainburst Properties and Rock Mass Characterisation'. The work will include a considerable amount of laboratory testing and data interpretation. Extensive laboratory/workshop experience is a high priority, and some experience managing laboratory staff would be advantageous. Also beneficial is sound theoretical as well as a practical understanding of the mining industry and mining geomechanics. Through quality research you will be required to translate outcomes into practical applications in mines.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- A relevant degree in civil engineering, mining, engineering geology or geomechanics, preferably at PhD level, or equivalent experience.
- Extensive experience in laboratory testing.
- Experience in rock mechanics research.
- Experience in mining geomechanics practice.
- Sound written and verbal communications skills.
- Sound interpersonal skills and a proven ability to work in a team environment.
- Strong track record of research publication, relative to opportunity.
- Experience managing laboratory staff would be an advantage.
- Occasional weekend work
- A general level of fitness as practical work in laboratories is a requirement
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description and applicants should clearly demonstrate they meet the selection criteria: Position Description - Research Associate Research Fellow - Geomechanics 502508.doc
Qualifications and experience of the applicant will determine the position appointment level.
This position is only open to applicants who have current Australian work rights.
Closing date: Monday, 21 January 2019
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
- UWA has been awarded Top Ten Employer for LGBTI - inclusion the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2016).
- The University is also a proud member of the Athena SWAN/SAGE Pilot for Gender Equity.