Launched in 2014, the Nature Index database — made openly available online at natureindex.com — allows institutions to track and promote their best research, to explore patterns of collaboration and to benchmark their research performance against competitors.
The Product Manager will work with a cross-functional, global team to help shape and implement the strategy for the Nature Index. He/she will have an existing knowledge of research metrics and university rankings, and will work to gain a deeper understanding of research organisations’ evaluation needs. The Product Manager will work alongside those responsible for the ongoing release of data and will oversee its subsequent analysis, ensuring high levels of accuracy. He/she will apply experiences gained in digital product management to iterate and improve the Nature Index website and create additional value for users through integration of Nature Index with related Nature Research services.
- Contribute to a customer-oriented Nature Index strategy and share it with internal stakeholders
- Raise awareness of the Nature Index and its value amongst the global research community
- Develop the Nature Index as a marketing platform for institutional partners
- Help develop new products and new revenue streams derived from the Nature Index
- Work with platform teams to develop a roadmap for improvements to the Nature Index website
- Plan and achieve the integration of the Nature Index with related Nature Research products and services
- Line manage a small team of data analysts
- Produce tailored datasets from the Nature Index (and other data sources) to support data-driven journalism and the creation of reports for clients
- Maintain accurate profit and loss statements for the Nature Index
The successful candidate will have:
- An undergraduate degree in science
- A deep understanding of research metrics
- A minimum of five years‘ experience managing digital, data products for the scientific community
- Excellent data-analysis skills and fluency in data software
- Commercial awareness
- Line-management experience
- The ability to adapt to change and to solve problems
- Strong interpersonal, organisational and communication skills, and the ability to influence others
- Experience working as part of a cross-functional, global team
- A willingness to travel internationally to work with colleagues in the UK, Australia and Japan
- Formal qualification in product/project management
- Experience in data visualization and infographics an added plus
Springer Nature is a leading research, educational and professional publisher, providing quality content to our communities through a range of innovative platforms, products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people – helping researchers, students, teachers & professionals to discover, learn and achieve. Nature Research Group is a portfolio of high-quality products and services across the life, physical, chemical and applied sciences – including journals, databases and researcher services – dedicated to serving the scientific community.
Launched in 2014, the Nature Index is an open tool that allows institutions to track and promote their best research, and to benchmark their research performance against competitors.