Faculty of Engineering, Oceans Graduate School
Advanced Geochemical Facility for Indian Ocean Research
- Level 8, full-time - 12 months fixed term appointment
- Salary range: $95,737 to $104,746 p.a.
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to 'innovate and inspire' there is no better time to join Western Australia's top University.
About the team
You will be part of a research team led by ARC Laureate Fellow Professor Malcolm McCulloch, a member of The University of Western Australia's newly established Oceans Graduate School, and world-leading ARC Centre of Excellence in Coral Reef Studies. The appointee will also work closely with researchers from UWA's Schools of Earth Sciences, Archaeology, Environmental Engineering and partner Universities.
About the opportunity
As a Senior Research Officer, you will be expected to work independently in Advanced Geochemical Facility for Indian Ocean Research (AGFIOR) at UWA, under the general direction of Professor Malcolm McCulloch. The facility comprises state-of-the-art instruments, two multi-collector ICPMS, quadrupole ICPMS, Element and Ar-F 193nm excimer laser system; supported by clean-room facilities. Research focusses on undertaking high quality, innovative research requiring expertise in developing new cutting-edge techniques. Additionally the AGFIOR Facility supports the growing needs for isotopic tracing and geochronological studies which focus on both recent (U-series) and long timescale (U-Pb) isotopic analyses.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- Relevant degree qualification preferably at PhD level or similar
- A strong work ethic, high quality analytical standards and a keenness and demonstrated ability, to facilitate and engage in a team undertaking cutting-edge innovative research
- A thorough understanding of the principles and applications of isotope geochemistry and ICPMS mass spectrometry
- A track record of being able to independently operate multi-collector ICPMS, quadrupole, high resolution ICPMS in conjunction with an Ar-F 193nm excimer laser ablation systems. Expertise in undertaking in-situ isotopic analyses using U-series methods is highly desirable
- Experience in clean-room operation, low blank chemical extractions and general maintenance
- Relevant experience to ensure optimal operation and maintenance of the instruments, actively engaging with both novice and experienced users with diverse backgrounds
- Ability to facilitate and support multi-disciplinary research using the AGFIOR facilities that may range from oceans, earth and environmental engineering to archaeological, biological and health/medical sciences
- Competence with data handling and analysis of instrument (ICPMS) generated data and database set-up
Full details of the position's responsibilities and selection criteria are outlined in the position description attached and applicants should clearly demonstrate they meet the selection criteria: POSITION DESCRIPTION Senior Research Officer - AGFIOR
Closing date: Monday, 1 October 2018
This position is only open to applicants with relevant rights to work in Australia. Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button. * UWA has been awarded Top Ten Employer for LGBTI - inclusion the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2016).
- The University is also a proud member of the Athena SWAN/SAGE Pilot for Gender Equity.