Thanks to a grant from The Lilly Endowment, The Conversation US is offering two editorial internships for students in our Boston, MA and Atlanta, GA offices during the summer of 2018. The Conversation US is committed to having a diverse workforce and students of all racial backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be 18 years or older.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 31 2018
The interns will gain experience in a daily newsroom and work closely with a talented group of editors in Atlanta, Boston, New York and Washington D.C. The intern will gain hands-on experience reviewing story ideas, working with copy and coming up with ideas for coverage. The internship is a temporary position for a period of nine weeks during the summer, and offers a stipend of $900 per week.
We are seeking people with an interest and experience in multi-media, illustration, animation, video or doing photo research to illustrate our articles.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
The interns will support The Conversation's editors by:
- Doing research to find potential authors, including academics from our partner universities.
- Creating illustrations, animations videos or other multimedia content for articles
- Doing photo research for articles
- Posting to social media
- Creating data charts and graphics
- Helping on special projects as needed
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA:
Applicants should have experience working in a news-gathering organization and have a strong interest in improving the public discourse by helping The Conversation publish in-depth and evidence-based analysis and commentary.
In addition, the successful candidates will have:
- Experience doing photo research with commercial sources such as AP as well as
- public domain and other Creative Commons sources
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to juggle multiple tasks
- Strong communication skills with the ability to work in a collaborative team
- Graphic design skills and experience in audio or video (not necessary but
- Data journalism skills (not necessary, but desirable)