The Associate Health and Medicine Editor will contribute to The Conversation US’ daily coverage of the latest academic research into and thinking about health, medicine, life sciences, and health policy.
Reporting to the Senior Health and Medicine Editor, the Associate Editor will develop story ideas on a daily basis, commission articles from academics and researchers, and prepare those articles for publication. S/he will be expected to do some travel, making presentations and leading writing workshops for health and medicine scholars. The successful applicant will be widely read and well-informed on a wide range of health and medical issues. S/he will be comfortable working in a fast-paced, daily news environment.
This role would suit a journalist with proven experience of covering medicine and health issues, strong editing and communication skills and the ability to manage relationships with key institutions and scholars.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA:
The Health and Medicine Editor will demonstrate the following:
• At least five years’ experience in daily journalism and editing written content
• In-depth knowledge of medical research and health issues and ability to identify medical and scientific stories that can be translated for broad appeal • An ability to generate creative and compelling story ideas that complement the daily news agenda
• An extensive network of academic contacts would be a plus
• Strong organizational skills, ability to write to a daily deadline, manage multiple tasks and work as part of a collaborative team
• Care and attention to detail • Experience in online production
Our main newsroom is based in Boston and our Senior Health & Medicine Editor is based in Atlanta, Georgia. We are looking for candidates who would be able to work in one of these two offices.