- Work for a world-leading University
- Develop first rate teaching practices & resources for in-class, blended and online learning
- Great opportunity to have work life balance in Tropical North Queensland
- $89,859 to $125,429 plus 17% superannuation
Consistently ranked in the top 2% of universities worldwide, JCU is one of the world’s leading institutions focussing on the tropics and offers a culturally diverse working environment with opportunities for professional and personal growth. JCU prides itself on being dedicated to teaching, learning and research that is not only of high quality, but also delivers practical benefits to the peoples and industries of the region.
We offer three exciting opportunities for a Lecturers / Senior Lecturers in English/Writing to join our world-leading institution at James Cook University (JCU). Two continuing appointments and one fixed term appointment o 21 December 2018, these positions will be based at either the Cairns or Townsville campuses in picturesque tropical north Queensland, where you can enjoy a tropical lifestyle whilst still achieving your career goals.
We also offer:
- generous superannuation scheme with 17% employer contributions
- five weeks’ annual recreation leave
- flexible working arrangements
- attractive options for salary packaging
- Well-equipped, modern facilities
- Fully accredited courses
- Enthusiastic, committed and talented staff
- Balance of work and life so you can enjoy a relaxed lifestyle that supports a diverse range of leisure and sporting interests.
About the position
James Cook University is renewing digital arts and Humanities and is actively seeking to significantly expand offerings in English and Creative Writing. These positions represent a great opportunity to make a difference as you teach into the Bachelor of Arts degree. A key member of the team, you will also teach at the postgraduate level, supervise Higher Degree Research students, and be expected to research and publish in the English and/or Writing areas. You will become a valued member of our strong collegial community and take an active role in our efforts to reshape the Humanities and Creative Arts at JCU.
- Inspire learning in our students by contributing to the design, teaching and assessment of undergraduate subjects in English and/or Writing;
- Develop first rate teaching practices and resources for in-class, blended and online delivery in English and/or Writing;
- Pursue individual and/or collaborative research in English and/or Writing, leading to significant research outputs and/or creative productions, and by applying for external research funding.
About you We are seeking a dynamic and engaging Lecturer/Senior Lecturer who will be a highly motivated and inspiring teacher of undergraduate students, a considered mentor of higher degree research students, and a significant research scholar and/or creative practitioner.
You will also have:
- PhD in English or Writing, with significant progress towards establishing a track record of high-level research or creative productions;
- Ability to inspire learning among our students by teaching across either or both the English and Writing disciplines;
- Preparedness to apply for external funding to undertake research or creative productions;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively with a diverse range of stakeholders.
About the College of Arts Society & Education As part of the Division of Tropical Environments and Societies, the College of Arts, Society and Education promotes, fosters, supports and administers quality teaching and research at JCU in the areas of Social Sciences, Humanities, Creative Arts and Media, Education and Social Work.
These appointments are central to our strategy to refresh the Humanities and Creative Arts at James Cook University by developing new modes of teaching, research and engagement, and our ambition to become a leading University in the Digital Humanities.