- Work for a world-leading University
- Deliver contemporary data science methods, processes and systems
- Great opportunity to have work life balance in Tropical North Queensland
We offer an exciting opportunity for a Lecturer, Data Science and Statistics to join our world-leading institution. A fixed term appointment for two years, this position is based at the Townsville campus in picturesque tropical north Queensland, where you can enjoy a relaxed lifestyle whilst still achieving your career ambitions.
What you can accomplish in this role
You will have the opportunity to develop and deliver course material for the online Masters Degree program in Data Science, whilst working in close consultation with the Head, Physical Sciences and associated academic team members.
- Develop online content and assessment for a series of subjects that will form part of an online Masters Degree in Data Science;
- Liaise with educational designers and expert academics in the development of online content to ensure course design is aligned with subject learning outcomes, attractive to students and linked with industry requirements.
- Undertake teaching delivery, assessment activities and student consultation duties where required for the Master of Data Science program.
What you can bring to this role
You are an experienced data scientist, with skills in big data (management, processing and analysis), data visualisation, statistics, data mining, modelling and database systems who will relish this unique opportunity to be involved in designing and delivering new subjects.
You will also have:
- Masters or PhD in Data Science or a similar degree, and/or 5 years equivalent industry experience.
- Proven ability and/or experience with various statistical software packages including R, SAS, Python, SQL, Hadoop, Spark, Tableau, and Excel.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively with a diverse range of stakeholders.
About the College of Science & Engineering
As part of the Division of Tropical Environments and Societies, the College of Science and Engineering promotes, supports and administers quality teaching, hands-on experiences, industry placements and research at JCU in the areas of Marine Biology and Aquaculture; Zoology and Ecology; Geoscience; Environmental Management; Physical Sciences, and Engineering.
Why is JCU right for you?
Consistently ranked in the top 2% of universities worldwide, JCU is one of the world’s leading institutions focussing on the tropics and offers a culturally diverse working environment with opportunities for professional and personal growth. JCU prides itself on being dedicated to teaching, learning and research that is not only of high quality, but also delivers practical benefits to the peoples and industries of the region.
We support our people through the provision of:
- generous superannuation scheme with 17% employer contributions
- ongoing professional and career development
- five weeks’ annual recreation leave
- attractive options for salary packaging
- well-equipped, modern facilities including on-campus shopping, gym, pool and childcare
- balance of work and life so you can enjoy a relaxed lifestyle that supports a diverse range of leisure and sporting interests.
- relocation assistance may be available
Vacancy Number: 16069 | Applications close: 11pm Sunday 6 August 2017