- 2.5 year appointment, with possible extension to 3 years.
- 2 post-doctoral positions available
- Salary range: Level A Step 8 $91,397 p.a. to Level B Step 3 $103,427 p.a.
- Relocation allowance of up to $1,500 upon presentation of receipts
The University of Western Australia is a member of Australia's prestigious Group of Eight and ranked among the top 100 universities in the world, with a broad and balanced coverage of disciplines in the arts, sciences and major professions.
For the past 100 years, UWA has contributed significantly to the intellectual, cultural and economic development of the State of Western Australia and the nation as a whole.
The School of Psychological Science at UWA has a proud record of graduating first-rate scientists and practitioners. UWA received the top ranking of 5 for Psychology in both rounds (2010, 2012, 2015) of the Commonwealth Research Assessment Exercise (ERA). UWA Psychology provides advanced postgraduate training through many programs, including the Master and the combined Master and PhD program in Industrial and Organisational psychology. The School has strong links with the Business School and Engineering School, with collaborations including the Accelerated Learning Laboratory and the Centre for Safety. The School also has strong links with many industry partners including the Defence Science and Technology Group.
About the opportunity
We are seeking dynamic Research Associates / Research Fellows with a track record of academic excellence and a passion for Applied Cognition or Human Factors research. There are two positions available that have been funded by the Defence Science and Technology Group (DST Group).
One post-doctoral researcher will work on the project "Human Performance in the Submarine Command Team". The project will be led by Associate Professor Shayne Loft in the Human Factors and Applied Cognitive Psychology (HUFAC) Laboratory (http://www.hufac.net/). The work will be conducted in collaboration with Dr Sam Huf and Dr Peter Henley from the DST Group, and Associate Professor Troy Visser (UWA) and Professor Paul Salmon (University of the Sunshine Coast).
The DST Group is currently attempting to clarify both the risks to human performance and the opportunities to enhance human performance that might present themselves as Royal Australian Navy transitions to a new submarine platform. The appointee will be responsible for designing and implementing an experimentation program that will examine command team performance parameters. The researcher will work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team from UWA, DST Group and external software engineering service providers. The appointee will be based at UWA but will spend significant periods of time at HMAS Stirling (Garden Island).
The other post-doctoral researcher will work on the project "Selection, training and intervention strategies to improve warfighter situation awareness". This project will be led by Associate Professor Troy Visser in the Learning, Attention & Behaviour Laboratory (http://www.visserlab.org/). The project is funded by the Defence Science and Technology Group (DST Group) as part of the Australian Army's new Human Performance Research Network (HPRnet), which extends across seven Australian universities, and functions in close collaboration with army personnel.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- Relevant PhD qualification in experimental psychology, cognitive psychology, human factors (ergonomics) psychology, or a closely related discipline
- Skills in computer programming (e.g., Matlab, Presentation, Unity)
- Evidence of academic productivity (e.g. quality peer-reviewed publications, awards etc)
- Knowledge/research experience of Human Factors topics such as Situation Awareness, Workload, Attention/Multi-tasking, Expertise, Decision-Making, and Teamwork
- Skills in statistical analyses
- Willingness and ability to supervise Honours and Masters students
Closing date: Thursday 11 May 2017
Applicants for this position must hold an Australian Citizenship as per the employment eligibility of the Defence Science and Technology Group.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description and applicants should clearly demonstrate they meet the selection criteria.
Please indicate whether you are interested in one or both of the described post-doctoral positions. If you are interested in applying for both, then please indicate project is your preference.
Please see the position description prior to applying: 316409, 316310.pdf
- UWA has been awarded Top Ten Employer for LGBTI - inclusion the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2016).
- The University is also a proud member of the Athena SWAN/SAGE Pilot for Gender Equity.