Department of Medicine - Austin Health Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
Salary: Casual $43.26 per hour plus 9.5% superannuation
The Liver Research Group of the Department of Medicine of The University of Melbourne at Austin Health is located at Austin Hospital Heidelberg Campus. The Liver Research Group at Austin Health (AH) is an expanding group conducting some exciting studies aimed at understanding the role of the renin angiotensin system (RAS) in the development of liver fibrosis and cirrhosis. The expected outcome of these studies is improved treatments for the prevention of hepatic cirrhosis. We currently have a casual position for a motivated and dedicated Research Assistant on a part time basis for 6 months. The Research Assistant will primarily be involved in providing support to the research undertaken by the Liver group of the Department of Medicine, AH. Current and proposed projects involve;
- Experimental gene therapy studies using viral vectors in mice,
- Characterization and intervention of hepatic fibrosis in Mas receptor gene knockout mice,
- Hemodynamic effects of the components of the RAS axis,
- Characterization of the contribution of advanced glycation end products (AGEs) to progression of liver disease, and
- The role of AGEs and their receptor RAGE in the progression of liver inflammation and fibrosis in rodents with non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH).
The Research Assistant position provides general research support to academics in the group, and also supports research higher degree students (PhD) as necessary. The Research Assistant will be required to use a number of experimental techniques, including RT-PCR, western blot, immunohistochemistry.
The incumbent must keep adequate records of all on-going and completed works as well as being able to present this work when required. The position is available on casual of approx. 21.75 hours per week for six months.
The Research Assistant will report to Dr Chandana Herath and Professor Peter Angus as required.
Close date: 28 Feb 2017
Position Description (includes Selection Criteria or Core Accountabilities and Competencies)